From: Jim on
What's the word on the street regards virtualization ?

Hyper V ?

What's the recommended way to go about this ?

I'm reading some stuff in TechNet but also reading conflicting views
elsewhere.

Basically want to use the second server on SBS 2008 Premium as a Terminal
Server.

Can this all be done on the one box ?

And if it's only SBS 2008 Standard and one purchases another copy of Windows
Server 2008 can this still be done ?

From: Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] on
If you have SBS 2008 Premium, you use the second server DVD to install base server with Hyper V, then you install SBS and Second Server as virtualized guests

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Yes, you can do this. Lots of us are. Virtualization isn't a panacea, but it
can be quite a cost effective way to run SBS Premium. As Cris says, you use
the Windows Server 2008 RTM copy of the second server as your host, and then
install SBS and the SBS 2nd Server as child (guest) VMs. The host does not
need to be joined to the domain (a special exemption from the normal SBS
rule for licensing), but it should have NO additional roles installed beyond
Hyper-V.

Using that second server as a Terminal Server is a great solution for most
SBS networks. I leverage TS RemoteApps a lot here to simplify my management
of, and hardware requirements for, client PCs.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: Andrew Rinaldi on
As a general rule, Microsoft Fax does not like virtualization... so, if
you need fax then I would suggest you deploy physical servers.

--
Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support

From: Jim on
Thanks guys. So if I've got say a HP DL380 G6 with say 32GB RAM then this
would be a good platform yes ?

Is the licensing OK about using the second server OS twice ?

Or does it not count if you are only installing the HyperV ?