From: MSFT) on
Hi Wade,

Thanks for your post.

First at all, please make sure your tape driver is on the (Hardware
Compatibility List) HCL. If not, we can't guarantee its functionality on
Windows Server 2003.
To check the HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/server/

Since the backup fails only when backup to the tapes, the issue may be
related to the tape driver or the tape. If the tape driver is on the HCL,
please get the last driver from the hardware vendor and install it, see if
there is any change.

Meanwhile, please perform the following steps and see if the issue resolved:

Close NTBackup and stop the Removable Storage Service. Then rename
%systemroot%\system32\ntmsdata to ntmsdata.old. Then restart the Removable
Storage Service. When you restart NTBackup, ntmsdata is re-created.

If you get a bluescreen referencing storport.sys:
0x000000d1(0x00000060,0x00000002,0x00000000)

Please install the following hotfix to resolve this issue if it occurs:

821138 Computer Stops Responding with "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Stop
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821138

If the issue still persists, please let us know what is the exact error
message when you failed to run the SBSBackup wizard?

If you have any concern on this thread, I am glad to be of further
assistance. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jerry Zhao (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

From: wadeleakey on
Hi Jerry,
The tape drive is on the HCL and the driver is the newest and is digitally
signed be MS HCL etc..
I hesitate to take next step because of your blue screen warning.

Since the problem began with SP1 is there any reason not to un install SP1
and reinstall from a CD?

What is the significance of the test showing that backup worked fine with
..txt file? What does that point to?

wade

From: v-jerryz on
Hi Wade,

It is nice to hear back from you.

Did you install the driver for the tape drive that got from the hardware
vendor after you installing the SP1? The SP1 may change the driver that
used for some hardware devices and use the driver that comes with the SP1.

The success of backing up the TXT file proved that the basic function of
the NTbackup and the tape drive is good. However, that could be some
specific scenario causing your issue.

Meanwhile, to get more information, please reproduce your issue and then
collect the following information and send them to me:

a). Send me the file Small Business Backup Script.bks under C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\

b). Send me the application event logs (in the format of .EVT).

=====================
How to View Event Logs
To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click programs, then click Administrative Tools, and
then double-click the Event Viewer snap-in.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event
Viewer window.

=====================

How to Archive a Log
If you want to save your log data, you can archive event logs in any of the
following formats:
Log-file format (.evt)
Text-file format (.txt)
Comma-delimited text-file format (.csv)

To archive a log, follow these steps:

1. In Event Viewer, right-click the log in which you want to archive, and
then click Save Log File As.
2. Specify a file name and location where you want to save the file. In the
Save as type box, click the format that you want, and then click Save.
The log file is saved in the format that you specified.

If you encounter any difficulties or have any concerns, feel free to let me
know. I look forward to your update.

From: wadeleakey on
Hi Jerry,
How do I send files to you? Email?
Please advise.
wade

From: v-jerryz on
Hi Wade,

Sorry for my stupid mistake.

My email address is v-jerryz(a)microsoft.com

Waiting here for your email.