From: lll on
Hi All,

I need an explanation/sketch of what i need (Hardware & Software) to build a SMS Application.
i need to send SMS message to the application, the aapplication listen to the incoming SMS,
and do something after parsing the SMS message.
the application also need to send SMS to a given MobilePhone#.
I'm using LabView 7.1.

I think on this configuration :

 I need to buy Cellular Modem (GSM) & SIM Card from my mobile company , which i connect to the PC.
 My questions :
 1) How i connect the Cellular Modem to the PC, is the Cellular Modem have RS232, USB cable ?
 2)  which modem i need to buy ? any GSM  modem  from any company is good ? is NI recommend on specific Cellular Modem?
 3)  i google a litle and found this WaveCom modem, is it good ?
&nbsp;
assume i have Cellular mode, and i connect it to my PC using RS232.
i assume that i need the protocol to "talk" with the modem.
is there a "GSM Standard" that i can implement using LabView Vi's ?
if so, is there a set of Vi's that someone already build ?
&nbsp;
Please let me know if you have a good tutorial or you can post here a good explantion
on "how to build SMS application - for beginners" , cause all the posts i found assumes that you know how things works,
and they just want to solve a bug or something.
&nbsp;
Thanks
&nbsp;
Mor.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;
From: lll on
Hi all,
&nbsp;
I wonder why nodody response to this message...
is it because nobody know the answers ? i dont think so.....
&nbsp;
So, who want to be the first ?
is there somebody that can come and save the day ??????????
&nbsp;
c'ya &nbsp;later..
&nbsp;
Mor.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
From: Andy F. on
Mor,
I am not familiar with any of the GSM modems, but it does seem that getting one that will allow you to connect to a Serial port and communicate using RS-232 would be the way to go.&nbsp; You will have to know the command set that the modem would use to communicate to be able to send and receive SMS message, but once you know this you could use the VISA commands to communicate&nbsp;with&nbsp;the serial port and to the modem.&nbsp; So if you are looking for some general&nbsp;steps to follow...

- Research the modems.&nbsp; Find one that will allow you to connect to the PC (maybe by RS-232, or even TCP/IP, both of which allow you to connect with VISA commands).&nbsp; Someone more familiar with GSM modems might be able to suggest one that would work for this application.

- The modem will need to have the ability to be controlled using RS-232 (or&nbsp;TCP/IP)&nbsp;commands.&nbsp; This may be specific to the modem, or conform to a standard (AT, I think), either way this is something that you will have to know before you start programming.

- Once you have everything connected, you should be able to communicate using VISA commands, which would require you to have the NI-VISA drivers installed.&nbsp;

- I would recommend trying initially to communicate using Measurement &amp; Automation Explorer first.&nbsp; Once you have that working, try to run an example program such as Basic Serial Write and Read.vi, or an equivalent.&nbsp; Check out the block diagram to get an idea of how to program using VISA..

- Program the commands required to send and receive SMS messages.&nbsp;

This is just a general outline of what you could do to get something like the application you described working.&nbsp; I hope this helps!
Andy F.
From: lll on
Dear Andy,
Its great. you realy help me here.
i didnt thought that i need to use VISA.
i'm going to have GSM modem with RS232 cable.
i will write here again after i finish building my application.
Thanks again
Mor
From: alipio on
Hello
Sorry I am so late . I just saw the thread today.
I worked with Wavecom gsm modem ( oldet than the one you&nbsp; refer and no in Labview) and they are really good and robust.
They use standard modem drivers and standard AT commands ( and some special )
But you can use most GSM/GPRS telephones. I know siemens and nokia have drivers and cabling for sending sms data fax, etc.
Just a point: wavecom modem supply in fron AC. Mos tels can not have data cable and AC supply at the same time, so if you plan to live&nbsp;it unnatended, make sure all data an Power supply cables can be plugged at the same time.
Hope it helps.
Alipio