From: Jim B on

I have been using Eudora 6.2 for a while still not familar with "Personalities"
setup. I succeed "hit and run" config and manage to send and received email.

I have since change my ISP, NO more Comcast. I manage sending out email
for a day and that it! I still can receive email but not out. I tried clean
setup Eudora 6.2 and 7.1. I still still unable to send email. My Port setting
change from 25 to 587 and Allow authentication.

Using my Laptop I tried posting in friend places (Broadband). Still cannot!
Could it be firewall or Virus? I am using MS Security Essential and up to date.
Before I encounter this problem, I was down for 3 weeks and after update
MS Security Essential, found a worm and deleted it.

Thank everyone.

From: Stan Bischof on
Jim B <Jimmydud(a)abcdnet.net> wrote:

> I have been using Eudora 6.2 for a while still not familar with
> "Personalities" setup. I succeed "hit and run" config and manage to
> send and received email.
>
> I have since change my ISP, NO more Comcast. I manage sending out
> email for a day and that it! I still can receive email but not out. I
> tried clean setup Eudora 6.2 and 7.1. I still still unable to send
> email. My Port setting change from 25 to 587 and Allow authentication.

Check with your new ISP and find out what their
correct SMTP server settings are.

Stan
From: John H Meyers on
On 4/10/2010 7:50 AM:

> I have been using Eudora 6.2 for a while still not familar with "Personalities"

Was that the first "6.2" or was it 6.2.1 or 6.2.3.4 or 6.2.5.6?

Some of those are so old and obsolete
that there are some servers which require SSL with which it can never work,
not to mention that no version before 6.2.3.4 had the "Use 587" port setting.

I suggest doing what Qualcomm always recommended as the very first step
in solving _any_ problem, to avoid wasting time over anything
already solved by an update -- install the latest version! (7.1.0.9)

http://www.eudora.com/download/

> I succeed "hit and run" config and manage to send and received email.

Sometimes we can hit something by firing many times in random directions,
but isn't it more economical of effort, more reliable, and even safer
to see and aim directly?

> I have since change my ISP, NO more Comcast.

Which would it be more useful to know -- the name of one ISP which _isn't_ yours,
or the name of the specific ISP which _is_ yours?

> I manage sending out email for a day and that it!
> I still can receive email but not out.

Is there any chance that there might have been an error message,
perhaps helpfully hinting at the obstacle,
or even telling us exactly what to do about it?
(ATT/Yahoo, for example, often includes web links to specific instructions,
and sometimes those links aren't even "dead" :)

Might it be useful to share any such message
with those to whom you turn for help?

> I tried clean setup Eudora 6.2 and 7.1

Oh, are you now already updated to 7.1?

Then I guess any mention of 6.2 is interesting history,
but not relevant to the new situation.

> I still still unable to send email. My Port setting
> change from 25 to 587 and Allow authentication.

Thanks for this useful, specific information!

Do you have any more information, such as the server names and SSL?

> Using my Laptop I tried posting in friend places (Broadband). Still cannot!
> Could it be firewall or Virus? I am using MS Security Essential and up to date.
> Before I encounter this problem, I was down for 3 weeks and after update
> MS Security Essential, found a worm and deleted it.

Many stories come with side plots that make for interesting literature,
even when they have nothing to do with the ending :)

It might be useful if you would list every personality that you've set up,
along with the following settings that you've made in each:

Incoming: Server name, Secure Sockets when Receiving.
Outgoing: Server name, Allow auth?, Use 587?, Use relay?, and Secure Sockets when Sending.

The relationship between port numbers, SSL, and "Secure Sockets when..." in Eudora
is as described in http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=37616
and http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=39550

Note also about "Alternate Login Info":

You can not use an incoming (POP) server
and an outgoing (SMTP) server in the same personality,
unless they both happen to have identical user name and password,
or if the SMTP server does not require a password at all.

You can, however, let one outgoing server be used
by any or all other personalities,
as described at the first link above.

From: Jim B on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:06:16 -0500, John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid>
wrote:

Hi John, I was waiting for you to show up. THANKS. :-)

Snip... Understood.

>already solved by an update -- install the latest version! (7.1.0.9)

Yes, clean start.

>http://www.eudora.com/download/
>
>> I succeed "hit and run" config and manage to send and received email.
>
>Sometimes we can hit something by firing many times in random directions,
>but isn't it more economical of effort, more reliable, and even safer
>to see and aim directly?
>
>> I have since change my ISP, NO more Comcast.
>
>Which would it be more useful to know -- the name of one ISP which _isn't_ yours,
>or the name of the specific ISP which _is_ yours?

OK, you may not have heard of this ISP, "Steamyx.com"
Amazing they have never heard of Eudora email client!!
Anyway, They told me lot of trash. So I start afresh with Eudora 7.1.

I came to realized your last paragraph is very important (BTW, I
would have keep trying preferring to our previous encounter posts):

>You can not use an incoming (POP) server
>and an outgoing (SMTP) server in the same personality,
>unless they both happen to have identical user name and password,
>or if the SMTP server does not require a password at all.

Let me rephrase it. I use Steamyx sending my email out and I cannot use
Steamyx receive my email. However I kept the same user names for login
on both Everestkc and Steamyx. I use different passwords.

This is what I have right now on my present setup Eudora 6.2

Getting Started

Real Name - Jim B (fake)
Email address - ABCD(a)everestkc.net
Mail Server (Incoming) - pop3.everestkc.net
User Name ABCD (fake)
Smtp Server (out going) - smtp.everestkc.net
Allow Authentication (tick)

Checking mail:

Mail Server (Incoming) - pop3.everestkc.net
User Name - ABCD (fake)
- Check mail 120 minutes
- don't check without connection
- don't check when using battery
- save password
- If available STARTTLS Last SSL info

Incoming mail
Server configuration (tick) "POP"
Authentication style (tick) "Password"

Sending mail

Email Address - ABCD(a)everestkc.net
Domain to add to unqualified address: - BLANK
SMTP Server - smtp.everestkc.net
SMTP Relay Personality - (none)
Allow Authentication "tick"
Immediately send "blank"
Send on check "blank"
use submission port (587) "tick"
Secure port when sending - "If available STARTTLS Last SSL info"

I tried a clean setup Eudora 7.1, I type almost the same information above and
saved the password. Now I started another new email after completed Everestkc
portion setting (within this Everestkc). This time Steamyx, I add their pop3 and
Smtp blah, blah.. saved my password.

I still cannot receive email. but can received email. You statement mean I
should have change my personality from "Dominant", to Steamyx before I click
"send". Under normal condition when I open Eudora, it will start and immediately
to check email from Everestkc mail server.

If I am correct above, how will Eudora know which (Everestkc and Steamyx)
passwords to use as the are saved?

I have no interest in Steamyx's email. I am only interested using them to convey
my emails back and forth. My email still show "ABCD(a)everestkc.net"

>You can, however, let one outgoing server be used
>by any or all other personalities,
>as described at the first link above.

>> I manage sending out email for a day and that it!
>> I still can receive email but not out.
>
>Is there any chance that there might have been an error message,
>perhaps helpfully hinting at the obstacle,
>or even telling us exactly what to do about it?
>(ATT/Yahoo, for example, often includes web links to specific instructions,
>and sometimes those links aren't even "dead" :)

if I can remember at the bottom blue screen, "Could not connect to
smtp.everestkc.net Cause:connection timed (10060) I also see the word
"Authenticate require" once. I did went back, make correction and changes.

>Might it be useful to share any such message
>with those to whom you turn for help?

....snip

>Thanks for this useful, specific information!
>
>Do you have any more information, such as the server names and SSL?

above, I think I am correct here. I checked back postings etc and I make sure I
followed carefully.

>> Using my Laptop I tried posting in friend places (Broadband). Still cannot!
>> Could it be firewall or Virus? I am using MS Security Essential and up to date.
>> Before I encounter this problem, I was down for 3 weeks and after update
>> MS Security Essential, found a worm and deleted it.
>
>Many stories come with side plots that make for interesting literature,
>even when they have nothing to do with the ending :)
>
>It might be useful if you would list every personality that you've set up,
>along with the following settings that you've made in each:

As above.

>Incoming: Server name, Secure Sockets when Receiving.
>Outgoing: Server name, Allow auth?, Use 587?, Use relay?, and Secure Sockets when Sending.
>
>The relationship between port numbers, SSL, and "Secure Sockets when..." in Eudora
>is as described in http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=37616
>and http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=39550
>
>Note also about "Alternate Login Info":

Where can I find this?

>You can not use an incoming (POP) server
>and an outgoing (SMTP) server in the same personality,
>unless they both happen to have identical user name and password,
>or if the SMTP server does not require a password at all.
>
>You can, however, let one outgoing server be used
>by any or all other personalities,
>as described at the first link above.

In sending mail SMTP relay personality should I click to "Steamyx"? After I
complete the next Eudora 7.1 email?

Thanks, really appreciate your help.

PS: I am having problems with Steamyx. This damn ISP use DSL Modem
with integrate wireless router. It come on and off, sometime for 10 hours
or more so if you don't hear me, my ISP are down again. Further, we are in
different time zone. Earlier, I subscribed to another ISP using wireless modem,
man you could die waiting till the cow comes home @^%#&&II**^$E!!!

From: John H Meyers on
What you posted was too much for me to follow.

All that was asked for was, for each personality
(get from "properties" of each in "Tools" > "Personalities,"
and omit anything else not listed):

Incoming: Server name, Secure Sockets when Receiving.
Outgoing: Server name, Allow auth?, Use 587?, Use relay?, and Secure Sockets when Sending.
(and make sure that format of user name is correct, that is,
either "justme" or "justme(a)myisp" -- according to what ISP requires)

Then, what you can do for yourself is,
make sure that "Secure sockets" etc. agrees with port and SSL spec of each server,
and make sure that user name and password is the same for each set
(if not, then you _must_ use "relay" feature, or else you will be able
to either _only_ send or _only_ receive in that personality,
depending on which server's password you supplied).

I have no more info to add -- I've posted this literally hundreds of times,
in forums, newsgroups, and mailing lists, and the possibility of my ever
discovering another way to say it has asymptotically approached zero.

Meanwhile, everyone who was waiting for me to shut up
can now come forward and boldly go into new directions,
even where no Starfleet captain has ever gone before.

You might even persuade the folks below to change one of their
"Murder Mystery" dinner cruises to a Eudora Mystery cruise,
and invite everyone from this newsgroup for a meet n greet :)

http://www.starfleetyachts.com/
http://www.starfleetyachts.com/public-cruises/murder-mystery-dinner-cruise.aspx

Best wishes.