From: Happy Trails on

My Eudora 6.0.3.0 Light required a "certificated" setup which I
learned about thru this group last August, and has worked fine since
until yesterday. Now it neither will d/l mail for me or send mail.

Does anyone know if Bell.net in Eastern Canada has done something to
prevent my Eudora from continuing to work? It just reports no mail
when I check. No error msgs or anything.

From: John H Meyers on
On 4/10/2010 11:47 AM:

> My Eudora 6.0.3.0 Light required a "certificated" setup which I
> learned about thru this group last August, and has worked fine since
> until yesterday. Now it neither will d/l mail for me or send mail.
>
> Does anyone know if Bell.net in Eastern Canada has done something to
> prevent my Eudora from continuing to work? It just reports no mail
> when I check. No error msgs or anything.

Are you referring to "Sympatico"?

Suppose your electricity had suddenly gone off yesterday,
while you were using Eudora on your computer.

Would you then ask the Eudora newsgroup what happened,
or would you try first contacting the electric company?

But of course, no one goes to the right source for anything.

Who but Eudora users would be the first to know
whether your ISP is down?

If the ISP told customers last year to make a change,
put the information aside, and challenge a Eudora newsgroup
to figure it out, instead, without benefit of the instructions,
when the old settings finally no longer work.

Watch the saga unfold, just as in medicine:
"Here's my body -- fix it doctor, while I go elsewhere"

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=15026

Eudora version 6.0 may still have SSL limitations,
as well as no setting for port 587 (used by Sympatico)

I would trade in that model ASAP for one which has had
many brilliant engineering (and safety) improvements,
up-to-date model "7.1" from
http://www.eudora.com/download/ (while supplies last)

By the way, also while supplies last, you can pick up
a free "Paid" mode registration from a university,
and thus enable some cool extra stuff, like
spell checking, more powerful search, and more
(Qualcomm doesn't accept money or ads any more,
they want everyone to have things for free).

Happy Trails!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sveKncw6KiU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7cgxqVR9Vo

From: Happy Trails on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:11:10 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

A lot of useless garbage.

You must deal with a lot of really stupid people in your life, JOHN,
but then people with your attitude usually do!

Of course my ISP is not down. I can access my email thru a web
browser, but no longer thru Eudora.

Please don't apologize for your idiocy.

From: John H Meyers on
On 4/13/2010 5:24 PM, Happy Trails wrote:

> A lot of useless garbage.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :)

Those whose ISP is Sympatico could have found it useful.

> Of course my ISP is not down. I can access my email thru a web
> browser, but no longer thru Eudora.

POP servers can be down (or their specs changed)
even though "webmail" continues working.

If your ISP is Sympatico, you can still follow the link(s)
to a thread which may have the solution.

Note that no one else even bothered to reply at all.

From: John H Meyers on
Sympatico.ca, bell.ca and bell.net
all seem to lead to the same client instructions for email:

http://internet.bell.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&content_id=1067

http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?content_id=1067&method=content.view

Repeating info found in a thread already mentioned:

Port 995 with SSL -> SSL:"Required, Alternate Port"

Port 587 with TLS -> "Allow auth" + "Use 587" + SSL:"StartTLS" (either one)
(The "Use 587" check box appears in Eudora 6.2.3.4 and later,
of course the latest is the best: 7.1.0.9)

"User name: Email address (e.g: jsmith(a)sympatico.ca or jsmith(a)bell.net)"
[the forum user who didn't succeed had not followed this instruction]

For $6/month you can subscribe to "PC Care" from Bell,
which claims to even give support for Eudora:

http://internet.bell.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&content_id=17170

Apparently you can subscribe, ask for help with Eudora, then cancel,
thus obtaining all the support you need for only a one-time $6 fee,
unless the support they have to offer is only the equivalent of
"here's the Eudora site address, go there for answers" :)

--

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: SMTP Outgoing Mail