From: RW on
"...but why bother, when the straightforward, direct configuration of Eudora
will do everything correctly anyway?"

I would actually prefer that the personality in question does inherit it's
properties from the dominant personality just as it does on my laptop. I
can't seem to make relaying work so I thought this would be my salvation.
I'm running the same version of Eudora on both PC's so maybe the issue is
with the operating system and not Eudora?

I even set my laptop right next to my desktop and matched all the Eudora
settings and Eudora still won't default on the XP machine. Argh!!!

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 12:19:02 -0600, RW wrote:

> I would actually prefer that the personality in question does inherit its
> properties from the dominant personality just as it does on my laptop.

Delete lines in the [Persona-xyz] section of Eudora.ini which have no value.

> I can't seem to make relaying work so I thought this would be my salvation.

If you want "Dominant" to do the relaying
("pinch hitting" by using its SMTP server whenever mail is sent),
select "Dominant" under "Sending Mail,"
where the "SMTP Relay Personality" is selected,
and mark "Use relay personality, if defined"
in all personalities which need a "pinch hitter" for sending mail.

If "Dominant's" SMTP server needs authentication (login),
it still had better use the same username/password
as "Dominant's" POP server (if it has one).

The effect of deleting lines to cause "inheriting settings,"
as mentioned above, is not equivalent, however,
so anyone relying on that may experience other sorts
of unexpected behavior -- whenever people have done such things,
they may end up tearing their hair out to understand the results
of such "invisible" internal settings tinkerings,
which no longer correspond to what "standard procedure" would produce,
using only plainly visible GUI settings.

Using a "Ports" settings category to change some "basic" port numbers
is another, similar way to end up with a scrambled brain,
in case any personality still needs the unmodified number(s).

> I'm running the same version of Eudora on both PC's
> so maybe the issue is with the operating system and not Eudora?

Only if you have caused Vista to perform "Folder virtualization"
by storing mail and settings under "Program Files,"
which is another way to lose clumps of hair,
after having grossly violated proper program installation
(a "Year 2000" dictum of Microsoft
which now has sharpened teeth, starting with Vista :)

From: RW on
Thanks again John. I'll dig into this latter this afternoon. Or tomorrow.
Right now my head feels like it's gonna explode!

From: Jim Higgins on
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:12:27 -0800, "RW" <ranger52oc(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Ooops. I spoke too soon.
>
>Eudora defaults to the dominant personality on my laptop running Vista, but
>not on my desktop running XP.
>
>Any more thoughts?

Yes. Shut down Eudora. Open Eudora.ini using a text editor in plain
text mode, no wordwrap.

Now go to the section containing the parameters for the personality in
question and delete the lines containing parameter names with empty
values that are causing Eudora to ignore the same-named parameters
from the dominant personality. If deleting makes you nervous, just
comment them out by placing a semicolon in front of them.

Note I DIDN'T say to delete ALL empty valued parameters, just those in
conflict with the settings you know you want to inherit from the
dominant personality.

BTW, the values for the dominant personality are contained in the
rather large [Settings} section. There is no separate little block of
parameters with "[Persona - Dominant]" at the top of it.

The use of "relay personalities" replaces the need for manual INI file
editing, but as I recall the explanation on how to use relay
personalities in the HELP file is either really poor or nonexistant.

Hope that helps.
--
Please don't be a "Help Vampire"
http://slash7.com/pages/vampires
From: RW on
Thanks Jim. I finally got it figured out and all is well.