From: RW on
Running Eudora 7.1.0.9, Windows XP

Yesterday I created a new personality to retrieve email from a mailbox at my
webhost. No problem. Other than an occasional timeout issue, it's working
great. But if I try to reply to one of these messages, I receive a "no
unauthenticated relaying allowed" error message.

I do some research and discovered I must also have a relay personality to be
able to reply. And yes, my webhost DOES allow authenticated smtp relaying.

So, I create the relay personality and make the required changes to Eudora's
settings but now I get an error message stating I must configure my email
client to allow authentication. But I have! And I've triple checked and
indeed, I believe I have made all the required settings changes to Eudora.

So what am I overlooking here?

My workaround is to always select the dominant personality when replying.
It's only one extra step but if I forget I have to waste time resending the
message.

From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:02:07 -0500, RW wrote:

> Running Eudora 7.1.0.9, Windows XP

> I create the relay personality and make the required changes to Eudora's
> settings but now I get an error message stating I must configure my email
> client to allow authentication. But I have!

The authentication failed. Make a log and see first hand:

"Windows Eudora Logging Instructions"
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=6259

One of the most common reasons is that it isn't set up properly;
everyone may say that it is, but one can not confirm this at a distance.

In particular, note that when one personality indicates
to "use relay personality" for outgoing mail,
then no SMTP settings in that personality have any effect at all,
because it's the _other_ personality whose settings are actually used.

Assuming that you remember all your passwords, try having Eudora
forget them (under "Special"), then *check* mail for all personalities,
then try sending mail. This assures that all passwords match the POP server
of each personality -- however, they must _also_ match the SMTP server
in each personality, particularly in the "relay" personality,
which is where (outgoing) authentication often fails,
due to mixing servers having different logins into the same personality.

"Eudora settings for servers"
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=42122

From: RW on
Thanks Jim! You just solved my problem.

From: RW on
Ooops. I spoke too soon.

Eudora defaults to the dominant personality on my laptop running Vista, but
not on my desktop running XP.

Any more thoughts?

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:12:27 -0600, RW wrote:

> Eudora defaults to the dominant personality on my laptop running Vista,
> but not on my desktop running XP.

Any newly created personality in a late version of Eudora
will NOT inherit (from "Dominant") any of the settings
defined in the "Properties" of a personality,
because the creation, within Eudora, of a new personality
automatically generates a new value (even if empty)
for all of the properties, for the very purpose
of ensuring the complete independence of personalities.

You can, of course, do otherwise, by directly editing Eudora.ini,
but why bother, when the straightforward, direct configuration of Eudora
will do everything correctly anyway?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/1281602e2f47e823