From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:16:25 -0600, Jim Higgins commented:

> The use of "relay personalities" replaces the need for manual INI file
> editing, but as I recall the explanation on how to use relay
> personalities in the HELP file is either really poor or nonexistant.

Has anyone seen any explanations offered right here?

Oh well, maybe just as bad :)

From: Jim Higgins on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:48:42 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:16:25 -0600, Jim Higgins commented:
>
>> The use of "relay personalities" replaces the need for manual INI file
>> editing, but as I recall the explanation on how to use relay
>> personalities in the HELP file is either really poor or nonexistant.
>
>Has anyone seen any explanations offered right here?
>
>Oh well, maybe just as bad :)

I won't reject the notion that a comprehensive explanation has been
given at some time in the past... to include what and why and not just
how... but I can't recall when that might have been.

Also, speaking as one not afraid to edit Eudora.ini or for that matter
to use a resource editor on several of Eudora's DLLs, editing the INI
file allows adding custom headers and a number of other things you
can't accomplish with relay personalities or at all without editing
Eudora.ini. Not the best solution for all and the OP didn't ask for
that, but my only available tool on the topic is a hammer and the
question looked like a nail to me. ;-) And the OP seems happy.

If someone were to write a coherent explanation of relay personalities
- what and why, not just how - I would sure read it carefully and file
it away.
--
Please don't be a "Help Vampire"
http://slash7.com/pages/vampires
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:27:26 -0600:

> I won't reject the notion that a comprehensive explanation has been
> given at some time in the past... to include what and why and not just
> how... but I can't recall when that might have been.

> If someone were to write a coherent explanation of relay personalities
> - what and why, not just how - I would sure read it carefully
> and file it away.

I've posted such an essay many dozens of times,
pitching it in different ways to see what may work
for particular people, as if I were a personal coach,
tailoring a program for each person; some were also
left where they can be referenced, e.g.:

"Eudora settings for servers"
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=42122
(more links in that post)

However, just as with manuals, writings merely collect dust,
and are rarely actually read -- perhaps because there isn't
one specifically written for every individual person's case,
or with something that "hooks" into how each person thinks,
or perhaps my own writing is just not good,
or perhaps each new person just expects personal service,
rather than try to find out by doing some looking around,
among all the petabytes of information generated in history,
which someone has bothered to store and save, for whatever reasons.