From: BrianAlex on
I have a customer who had an accident and can't get upstairs to the
HP desktop so I had the ISP (AT+T) come out and set up wireless and I
moved the machine and peripherals downstairs.
It turns out that the wireless USB card will not install. We keep
getting something like "This application has not passed Windows LOGO
inspection..." and if we click "continue anyway" and continue with
everything,the wireless does not show up under network connections or
available connections.
We were going nuts trying to figure this out for a few hours.
Then three weeks later a phone tech had me right-click "My Computer"
to see what version SP she has.
There is nothing there,only "Windows XP Home edition 2002 Vesion" so
I am assuming that it has never even had an update,it is a virgin
2002.

So anyway,the tech thinks that without SP-1 it doesn't have some
component (I can't remember exactly) to allow the wireless install.(We
tried 2 different ones "2-wire" and another).
I am sending her my SP2 CD that I've had sitting around for years.I
will help her out over the phone,and then try to install the wireless
card again.
I'm checking here to see if there is anything we should know about
this situation.I'm hoping that SP2 will do the trick but it is not up-
to-date SP2.I think I got it in 2004.
There is no Windows Firewall listed and I'm hoping SP2 will fix
this.
It seems to have USB 2.0.
Any other ideas? thanks -BA
From: Auric__ on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:35:23 GMT, BrianAlex wrote:

> I have a customer who had an accident and can't get upstairs to the
> HP desktop so I had the ISP (AT+T) come out and set up wireless and I
> moved the machine and peripherals downstairs.
> It turns out that the wireless USB card will not install. We keep
> getting something like "This application has not passed Windows LOGO
> inspection..." and if we click "continue anyway" and continue with
> everything,the wireless does not show up under network connections or
> available connections.
> We were going nuts trying to figure this out for a few hours.
> Then three weeks later a phone tech had me right-click "My Computer"
> to see what version SP she has.
> There is nothing there,only "Windows XP Home edition 2002 Vesion" so
> I am assuming that it has never even had an update,it is a virgin
> 2002.
>
> So anyway,the tech thinks that without SP-1 it doesn't have some
> component (I can't remember exactly) to allow the wireless install.(We
> tried 2 different ones "2-wire" and another).
> I am sending her my SP2 CD that I've had sitting around for years.I
> will help her out over the phone,and then try to install the wireless
> card again.
> I'm checking here to see if there is anything we should know about
> this situation.I'm hoping that SP2 will do the trick but it is not up-
> to-date SP2.I think I got it in 2004.
> There is no Windows Firewall listed and I'm hoping SP2 will fix
> this.
> It seems to have USB 2.0.
> Any other ideas? thanks -BA

Why not just install SP3?

--
To save one from a mistake is a gift of paradise.
From: Jack on

"Auric__" <not.my.real(a)email.address> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:35:23 GMT, BrianAlex wrote:
>
>> I have a customer who had an accident and can't get upstairs to the
>> HP desktop so I had the ISP (AT+T) come out and set up wireless and I
>> moved the machine and peripherals downstairs.
>> It turns out that the wireless USB card will not install. We keep
>> getting something like "This application has not passed Windows LOGO
>> inspection..." and if we click "continue anyway" and continue with
>> everything,the wireless does not show up under network connections or
>> available connections.
>> We were going nuts trying to figure this out for a few hours.
>> Then three weeks later a phone tech had me right-click "My Computer"
>> to see what version SP she has.
>> There is nothing there,only "Windows XP Home edition 2002 Vesion" so
>> I am assuming that it has never even had an update,it is a virgin
>> 2002.
>>
>> So anyway,the tech thinks that without SP-1 it doesn't have some
>> component (I can't remember exactly) to allow the wireless install.(We
>> tried 2 different ones "2-wire" and another).
>> I am sending her my SP2 CD that I've had sitting around for years.I
>> will help her out over the phone,and then try to install the wireless
>> card again.
>> I'm checking here to see if there is anything we should know about
>> this situation.I'm hoping that SP2 will do the trick but it is not up-
>> to-date SP2.I think I got it in 2004.
>> There is no Windows Firewall listed and I'm hoping SP2 will fix
>> this.
>> It seems to have USB 2.0.
>> Any other ideas? thanks -BA
>
> Why not just install SP3?

SP3 requires either SP1 or SP2 to be installed first.

From: BrianAlex on
On Feb 20, 11:49 am, "Jack" <nos...(a)invalid.not> wrote:
> "Auric__" <not.my.r...(a)email.address> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:35:23 GMT, BrianAlex wrote:
>
> >>  I have a customer who had an accident and can't get upstairs to the
> >> HP desktop so I had the ISP (AT+T) come out and set up wireless and I
> >> moved the machine and peripherals downstairs.
> >>  It turns out that the wireless USB card will not install. We keep
> >> getting something like "This application has not passed Windows LOGO
> >> inspection..." and if we click "continue anyway" and continue with
> >> everything,the wireless does not show up under network connections or
> >> available connections.
> >>   We were going nuts trying to figure this out for a few hours.
> >>   Then three weeks later a phone tech had me right-click "My Computer"
> >> to see what version SP she has.
> >>   There is nothing there,only "Windows XP Home edition 2002 Vesion" so
> >> I am assuming that it has never even had an update,it is a virgin
> >> 2002.
>
> >>   So anyway,the tech thinks that without SP-1 it doesn't have some
> >> component (I can't remember exactly) to allow the wireless install.(We
> >> tried 2 different ones "2-wire" and another).
> >>   I am sending her my SP2 CD that I've had sitting around for years.I
> >> will help her out over the phone,and then try to install the wireless
> >> card again.
> >>   I'm checking here to see if there is anything we should know about
> >> this situation.I'm hoping that SP2 will do the trick but it is not up-
> >> to-date SP2.I think I got it in 2004.
> >>   There is no Windows Firewall listed and I'm hoping SP2 will fix
> >> this.
> >>   It seems to have USB 2.0.
> >>    Any other ideas? thanks -BA
>
> > Why not just install SP3?
>
> SP3 requires either SP1 or SP2 to be installed first.- Hide quoted text -

Plus I just (luckily) had the SP2 CD. We'll see. We can't get online
to upgrade.
From: russg on
On Feb 19, 9:35 pm, BrianAlex <Brianori...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>  I have a customer who had an accident and can't get upstairs to the
> HP desktop so I had the ISP (AT+T) come out and set up wireless and I
> moved the machine and peripherals downstairs.
>  It turns out that the wireless USB card will not install. We keep
> getting something like "This application has not passed Windows LOGO
> inspection..." and if we click "continue anyway" and continue with
> everything,the wireless does not show up under network connections or
> available connections.
>   We were going nuts trying to figure this out for a few hours.
>   Then three weeks later a phone tech had me right-click "My Computer"
> to see what version SP she has.
>   There is nothing there,only "Windows XP Home edition 2002 Vesion" so
> I am assuming that it has never even had an update,it is a virgin
> 2002.
>
>   So anyway,the tech thinks that without SP-1 it doesn't have some
> component (I can't remember exactly) to allow the wireless install.(We
> tried 2 different ones "2-wire" and another).
>   I am sending her my SP2 CD that I've had sitting around for years.I
> will help her out over the phone,and then try to install the wireless
> card again.
>   I'm checking here to see if there is anything we should know about
> this situation.I'm hoping that SP2 will do the trick but it is not up-
> to-date SP2.I think I got it in 2004.
>   There is no Windows Firewall listed and I'm hoping SP2 will fix
> this.
>   It seems to have USB 2.0.
>    Any other ideas? thanks -BA

You didn't say how you were trying to install the USB wireless. If it
is with the installation CD that
came with the adapter?