From: Gas Bag on
I've very recently installed Windows XP Home Edition on the C: Drive
of a partitioned hard drive with 128MB of RAM. The D: Drive is about
18GB, and the C: Drive is about 10GB, both fully defragged. I have
only installed Internet Explorer 8, along with "Process Explorer".
At the moment, I am experiencing the most HORRENDOUS problem of "hard
drive thrashing" I've ever come across, particularly when I open up an
IE8 webpage. Even if I open up just a single web page and it's
sitting idle, the hard drive thrashing is terrible. It gets so bad
that often my computer freezes (or very close to), and I have to
reboot.
I've already done the following:

Defragged both partitions, more than once.
Scan disk on both partitions (more than once) - no bad sectors found.
I don't have any Norton Programs installed on my system.
Turned off "Indexing" in System Properties in the Advanced Settings.
Turned off System Restore.
When I enter Task Manager > Performance tab, the PF (Page File) usage
is often around 300MB.

When checking the processes running using "Process Explorer", it only
seems to be IE8 that's doing the most processing.

If there's any advice anyone can offer, I'd like to hear it.
From: BrianAlex on
On Feb 21, 7:26 pm, Gas Bag <shazl...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I've very recently installed Windows XP Home Edition on the C: Drive
> of a partitioned hard drive with 128MB of RAM. The D: Drive is about
> 18GB, and the C: Drive is about 10GB, both fully defragged.  I have
> only installed Internet Explorer 8, along with "Process Explorer".
> At the moment, I am experiencing the most HORRENDOUS problem of "hard
> drive thrashing" I've ever come across, particularly when I open up an
> IE8 webpage.  Even if I open up just a single web page and it's
> sitting idle, the hard drive thrashing is terrible.  It gets so bad
> that often my computer freezes (or very close to), and I have to
> reboot.
> I've already done the following:
>
> Defragged both partitions, more than once.
> Scan disk on both partitions (more than once) - no bad sectors found.
> I don't have any Norton Programs installed on my system.
> Turned off "Indexing" in System Properties in the Advanced Settings.
> Turned off System Restore.
> When I enter Task Manager > Performance tab, the PF (Page File) usage
> is often around 300MB.
>
> When checking the processes running using "Process Explorer", it only
> seems to be IE8 that's doing the most processing.
>
> If there's any advice anyone can offer, I'd like to hear it.

I'm no expert but 128 Ram does not get it done. This I do know
because mine came with that amount and it was VERY VERY slow. As soon
as a I added some RAM it was like night and day.I think at first I
added 512 ($20).
Check Task manager under performance tab and see how much RAM is
available.Bet it's double digits at best.
From: Sjouke Burry on
Gas Bag wrote:
> I've very recently installed Windows XP Home Edition on the C: Drive
> of a partitioned hard drive with 128MB of RAM. The D: Drive is about
> 18GB, and the C: Drive is about 10GB, both fully defragged. I have
> only installed Internet Explorer 8, along with "Process Explorer".
> At the moment, I am experiencing the most HORRENDOUS problem of "hard
> drive thrashing" I've ever come across, particularly when I open up an
> IE8 webpage. Even if I open up just a single web page and it's
> sitting idle, the hard drive thrashing is terrible. It gets so bad
> that often my computer freezes (or very close to), and I have to
> reboot.
> I've already done the following:
>
> Defragged both partitions, more than once.
> Scan disk on both partitions (more than once) - no bad sectors found.
> I don't have any Norton Programs installed on my system.
> Turned off "Indexing" in System Properties in the Advanced Settings.
> Turned off System Restore.
> When I enter Task Manager > Performance tab, the PF (Page File) usage
> is often around 300MB.
>
> When checking the processes running using "Process Explorer", it only
> seems to be IE8 that's doing the most processing.
>
> If there's any advice anyone can offer, I'd like to hear it.
Memory to small, disk to small.
I have used 512MB for years, the comp is sometimes a bit slow,
but usable.
The harddisk should be at least 32Gb, better is 80GB, your harddisk
is already almost full, and XP does not like that.
From: Raoul Watson on
Gas Bag wrote:
> I've very recently installed Windows XP Home Edition on the C: Drive
> of a partitioned hard drive with 128MB of RAM. The D: Drive is about
> 18GB, and the C: Drive is about 10GB, both fully defragged. I have
> only installed Internet Explorer 8, along with "Process Explorer".
> At the moment, I am experiencing the most HORRENDOUS problem of "hard
> drive thrashing" I've ever come across, particularly when I open up an
> IE8 webpage. Even if I open up just a single web page and it's
> sitting idle, the hard drive thrashing is terrible. It gets so bad
> that often my computer freezes (or very close to), and I have to
> reboot.
> I've already done the following:
>
> Defragged both partitions, more than once.
> Scan disk on both partitions (more than once) - no bad sectors found.
> I don't have any Norton Programs installed on my system.
> Turned off "Indexing" in System Properties in the Advanced Settings.
> Turned off System Restore.
> When I enter Task Manager > Performance tab, the PF (Page File) usage
> is often around 300MB.
>
> When checking the processes running using "Process Explorer", it only
> seems to be IE8 that's doing the most processing.
>
> If there's any advice anyone can offer, I'd like to hear it.

What you hear there is Windows struggling swapping virtual memory pages
from the memory to your hard drive.

My advice would be to get yourself more memory, 1Gb minimum recommended.
Hard drives and memory are cheap now. I would go and get another hard
drive as well.
From: Gas Bag on
Thanks for all the responses so far. I reinstalled XP Home Edition on
the C: Drive, and that's made a big improvment.

One thing I've noticed though - when I attempt to restart the computer
via the Windows Start button, it powers off, but the green power light
on the tower stays on. I then need to turn off the power at the power
outlet before turning it on again. Then it reboots okay. Also, the
keyboard has a "power off" button which fully shuts down the computer
and shuts off all power. This works reliably, with no hitches.

Ran Windows ChkDsk after XP Home was installed - no errors were found.
Ran SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1201 (as I have a Seagate HDD) and
selected one of the long, indepth scans. This did find problems on
the HDD, near the end of the scanning process.
Then ran SeaTools for DOS Version 2.17 (as recommended by Sea Tools
for Windows) in an attempt to fix any bad sectors on the HDD. When I
did this, it ran part way through the procedure, then the screen went
like "black and white static-snow", but in multi colours. When I
attempted to move the mouse, it did affect the display slightly.
Since SeaTools for DOS has hit a brick wall, what would be the next-
best HDD scanning and repair utility to use?

Apart from rebooting, this computer is actually working better than it
did previously, but it's too old to start forking out cash to replace
various bits of hardware. When I eventually start forking out cash,
I'll simply buy an entirely new system, not patch up an old one. For
the time being, I'd appreciate any further help.