From: Steve Urbach on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:26:50 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag <shazlikd(a)yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses so far. I reinstalled XP Home Edition on
>the C: Drive, and that's made a big improvment.
>
>One thing I've noticed though - when I attempt to restart the computer
>via the Windows Start button, it powers off, but the green power light
>on the tower stays on. I then need to turn off the power at the power
>outlet before turning it on again. Then it reboots okay. Also, the
>keyboard has a "power off" button which fully shuts down the computer
>and shuts off all power. This works reliably, with no hitches.
>
>Ran Windows ChkDsk after XP Home was installed - no errors were found.
>Ran SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1201 (as I have a Seagate HDD) and
>selected one of the long, indepth scans. This did find problems on
>the HDD, near the end of the scanning process.
>Then ran SeaTools for DOS Version 2.17 (as recommended by Sea Tools
>for Windows) in an attempt to fix any bad sectors on the HDD. When I
>did this, it ran part way through the procedure, then the screen went
>like "black and white static-snow", but in multi colours. When I
>attempted to move the mouse, it did affect the display slightly.
>Since SeaTools for DOS has hit a brick wall, what would be the next-
>best HDD scanning and repair utility to use?
>
>Apart from rebooting, this computer is actually working better than it
>did previously, but it's too old to start forking out cash to replace
>various bits of hardware. When I eventually start forking out cash,
>I'll simply buy an entirely new system, not patch up an old one. For
>the time being, I'd appreciate any further help.
Colored Snow?
Not only are you trying to run XP on 128M,
You appear to be doing it on a system that shares that memory with the
Graphics chip.

Oh My!

From: Tzortzakakis Dimitrios on

> Thanks for all the responses so far. I reinstalled XP Home Edition on
> the C: Drive, and that's made a big improvment.
>
> One thing I've noticed though - when I attempt to restart the computer
> via the Windows Start button, it powers off, but the green power light
> on the tower stays on. I then need to turn off the power at the power
> outlet before turning it on again. Then it reboots okay. Also, the
> keyboard has a "power off" button which fully shuts down the computer
> and shuts off all power. This works reliably, with no hitches.
>
> Ran Windows ChkDsk after XP Home was installed - no errors were found.
> Ran SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1201 (as I have a Seagate HDD) and
> selected one of the long, indepth scans. This did find problems on
> the HDD, near the end of the scanning process.
> Then ran SeaTools for DOS Version 2.17 (as recommended by Sea Tools
> for Windows) in an attempt to fix any bad sectors on the HDD. When I
> did this, it ran part way through the procedure, then the screen went
> like "black and white static-snow", but in multi colours. When I
> attempted to move the mouse, it did affect the display slightly.
> Since SeaTools for DOS has hit a brick wall, what would be the next-
> best HDD scanning and repair utility to use?
>
> Apart from rebooting, this computer is actually working better than it
> did previously, but it's too old to start forking out cash to replace
> various bits of hardware. When I eventually start forking out cash,
> I'll simply buy an entirely new system, not patch up an old one. For
> the time being, I'd appreciate any further help.
As other people have stated, your computer is seriously underpowered for XP.
You have, maybe, to start saving up for a new one. In the meanwhile, try to
be as conservative as possible, avoid running too demanding applications, no
multitasking etc. It wouldn't hurt too, running msconfig and getting rid of
unneccessary apps that run when windows start. You should also check the
"startup" folder (Start-> all programms) and make sure it's empty.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

From: BrianAlex on
On Feb 23, 3:40 am, Steve Urbach <dragonsc...(a)NOTmindspring.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:26:50 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag <shazl...(a)yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>

> >Thanks for all the responses so far.  I reinstalled XP Home Edition on
> >the C: Drive, and that's made a big improvment.
>
> >One thing I've noticed though - when I attempt to restart the computer
> >via the Windows Start button, it powers off, but the green power light
> >on the tower stays on.  I then need to turn off the power at the power
> >outlet before turning it on again.  Then it reboots okay.  Also, the
> >keyboard has a "power off" button which fully shuts down the computer
> >and shuts off all power.  This works reliably, with no hitches.
>
> >Ran Windows ChkDsk after XP Home was installed - no errors were found.
> >Ran SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1201 (as I have a Seagate HDD) and
> >selected one of the long, indepth scans.  This did find problems on
> >the HDD, near the end of the scanning process.
> >Then ran SeaTools for DOS Version 2.17 (as recommended by Sea Tools
> >for Windows) in an attempt to fix any bad sectors on the HDD.  When I
> >did this, it ran part way through the procedure, then the screen went
> >like "black and white static-snow", but in multi colours.  When I
> >attempted to move the mouse, it did affect the display slightly.
> >Since SeaTools for DOS has hit a brick wall, what would be the next-
> >best HDD scanning and repair utility to use?
>
> >Apart from rebooting, this computer is actually working better than it
> >did previously, but it's too old to start forking out cash to replace
> >various bits of hardware.  When I eventually start forking out cash,
> >I'll simply buy an entirely new system, not patch up an old one.  For
> >the time being, I'd appreciate any further help.
>
> Colored Snow?
> Not only are you trying to run XP on 128M,
> You appear to be doing it on a system that shares that memory with the
> Graphics chip.
>
> Oh My!- Hide quoted text -

That's the way my Dell came from the factory. Just get a $20 memory
card and snap it in and problem solved. It's probably that simple and
that cheap. 128 is ludicrous. Get it?
From: BrianAlex on
On Feb 23, 8:31 am, BrianAlex <Brianori...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 3:40 am, Steve Urbach <dragonsc...(a)NOTmindspring.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:26:50 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag <shazl...(a)yahoo.com.au>
> > wrote:
>
> > >Thanks for all the responses so far.  I reinstalled XP Home Edition on
> > >the C: Drive, and that's made a big improvment.
>
> > >One thing I've noticed though - when I attempt to restart the computer
> > >via the Windows Start button, it powers off, but the green power light
> > >on the tower stays on.  I then need to turn off the power at the power
> > >outlet before turning it on again.  Then it reboots okay.  Also, the
> > >keyboard has a "power off" button which fully shuts down the computer
> > >and shuts off all power.  This works reliably, with no hitches.
>
> > >Ran Windows ChkDsk after XP Home was installed - no errors were found.
> > >Ran SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1201 (as I have a Seagate HDD) and
> > >selected one of the long, indepth scans.  This did find problems on
> > >the HDD, near the end of the scanning process.
> > >Then ran SeaTools for DOS Version 2.17 (as recommended by Sea Tools
> > >for Windows) in an attempt to fix any bad sectors on the HDD.  When I
> > >did this, it ran part way through the procedure, then the screen went
> > >like "black and white static-snow", but in multi colours.  When I
> > >attempted to move the mouse, it did affect the display slightly.
> > >Since SeaTools for DOS has hit a brick wall, what would be the next-
> > >best HDD scanning and repair utility to use?
>
> > >Apart from rebooting, this computer is actually working better than it
> > >did previously, but it's too old to start forking out cash to replace
> > >various bits of hardware.  When I eventually start forking out cash,
> > >I'll simply buy an entirely new system, not patch up an old one.  For
> > >the time being, I'd appreciate any further help.
>
> > Colored Snow?
> > Not only are you trying to run XP on 128M,
> > You appear to be doing it on a system that shares that memory with the
> > Graphics chip.
>
> > Oh My!- Hide quoted text -

>   That's the way my Dell came from the factory. Just get a $20 memory
> card and snap it in and problem solved. It's probably that simple and
> that cheap. 128 is ludicrous. Get it?- Hide quoted text -

BTW,my XP Home ed. with nothing open except Task Manager is using
about 300K RAM. So how do you think it will work on 128 ? Right, Gawd-
awful Sloooooooow. Thank you.
From: Gas Bag on
>   That's the way my Dell came from the factory. Just get a $20 memory
> card and snap it in and problem solved. It's probably that simple and
> that cheap. 128 is ludicrous. Get it?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I fully agree that my computer is old (and underpowered) to be
running XP Home, but it is getting by....for the time being. Reading
what I've read so far, I think the best option would be for me to get
some more RAM. But can anyone advise me what's the best freeware HDD
scanning and repairing utility available? That would be much
appreciated.