From: Steve Urbach on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:51:17 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag <shazlikd(a)yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>> � That's the way my Dell came from the factory. Just get a $20 memory
>> card and snap it in and problem solved. It's probably that simple and
>> that cheap. 128 is ludicrous. Get it?- Hide quoted text -

>Yes, I fully agree that my computer is old (and underpowered) to be
>running XP Home, but it is getting by....for the time being. Reading
>what I've read so far, I think the best option would be for me to get
>some more RAM. But can anyone advise me what's the best freeware HDD
>scanning and repairing utility available? That would be much
>appreciated.
XP scandisk will do the job just fine. Just let it grind away with nothing
else running (Get dinner, low memory makes defrag slow as it can only cache a
small chunk).

BTW Run Scan disk with the Repair ticked, requires a reboot because Windows
locks to much of the drive. It will ask you to schedule. Say Yes
Reboot and watch it start, the go out for dinner (if you have a Larger than
20G drive) :)