From: Michael on
Hello everbody

I'm new in this group! I've got a few questions to this group.

1. Is it possible to convert SPI to USB with a data transfer rate of 2
Mbitps? And the same back USB to SPI.

If it is not possible there is my second question. Can I save data on
an external HardDisk. I want to develop a "Stand-Alone-Modul" which
can save data for a measurement and after that I can transport the
data to my Host pc.

I hope you understand my questions.

Thanks for help
Michael

From: Al Clark on
Michael.Reichlin(a)de.bosch-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Michael) wrote in

> Hello everbody
>
> I'm new in this group! I've got a few questions to this group.
>
> 1. Is it possible to convert SPI to USB with a data transfer rate of 2
> Mbitps? And the same back USB to SPI.
>
> If it is not possible there is my second question. Can I save data on
> an external HardDisk. I want to develop a "Stand-Alone-Modul" which
> can save data for a measurement and after that I can transport the
> data to my Host pc.
>
> I hope you understand my questions.
>
> Thanks for help
> Michael

SPI to USB is fairly easy if your device is not the host (master). You
can get 2Mbits/second with a USB full (or high) speed device. Check out
ftdichip.com for a suitable device.

USB systems always have a host. This is usually a PC. Some devices act as
both a host and USB peripheral. A typical camera might talk to a printer
(where it is the host) and act as a peripheral when connected to a PC.

There is a standard for this style of connection called USB-On-The-Go.
This is much, much more difficult to implement.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
From: Tim Wescott on
Michael wrote:
> Hello everbody
>
> I'm new in this group! I've got a few questions to this group.
>
> 1. Is it possible to convert SPI to USB with a data transfer rate of 2
> Mbitps? And the same back USB to SPI.

-snip-

Yes, it is possible, but it's not much of a DSP task. Assuming that you
have SPI coming out of something with some particular format it will
probably require a fast microprocessor, an FPGA or both to do some
translation.

These would be good questions for sci.electronics.design, with questions
on comp.embedded once you get your circuitry figured out.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
From: Michael on
@Tim

Thanks for your answer, but can you give me a tip which FPGA I have to
use for translation? I don't have much experience with FPGA.

@Al
I searcher for FTDI but they can't tell me exactlly that it works. The
FT2232C has the components that I need, but they are not sure if it
works

Michael

From: Al Clark on

> @Tim
>
> Thanks for your answer, but can you give me a tip which FPGA I have to
> use for translation? I don't have much experience with FPGA.
>
> @Al
> I searcher for FTDI but they can't tell me exactlly that it works. The
> FT2232C has the components that I need, but they are not sure if it
> works
>
> Michael

The FT2232C assumes that there is a SPI master. If you have a
microcontroller of some kind, this is likely. What you are not going to do
is hook up another SPI peripheral (like a serial flash) directly to the
FT2232C. You could use a small micro such as a PIC or AVR for this purpose.
If you need a small "helper" micro, then the FT245BM or FT232BM might be
good choices as well since you don't need the USB interface to be
specifically SPI in this case (the micro is the bridge).

The very big issue with USB is the device driver. If a suitable device
driver does not exist for your situation, you can spend lots of time or
money creating one.