From: SPS on
We get the following error when attempting to restore a portal, using
SPPS 2003 SP2 with SQL Server 2000 SP4.

The given path's format is not supported.

The stacktrace given in the SPSBackup.log is given below. We use a UNC
path for the manifest file pathname. The databases (SITE, PROF, and
SERV) have been restored by the point that the error occurs. If we try
to recover the portal using the PortalCreate.aspx administration page
with these databases, the same error occurs.

This error is a showstopper for our portal recovery. Is there any fix
or workaround for this problem?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

10/02/06 12:42:00:938 UNK 00000000 000009A0 Exception creating portal.
System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.

at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String
path, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.AddExpressions(String[]
str, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at
System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess
access, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean
needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
at
System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess
access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean
needFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess
access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String
msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess
access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding
encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Admin.c.d()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Admin.c..ctor(String A_0, Uri A_1,
String A_2, String A_3, String A_4, Boolean A_5)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Topology.PortalSite.Restore(String
portalUrl, Uri virtualServerUri, String siteDatabaseServer, String
siteDatabaseName, String profileDatabaseServer, String
profileDatabaseName, String serviceDatabaseServer, String
serviceDatabaseName)
10/02/06 12:42:00:938 UNK 00000000 000009A0 Error creating portal.
Error=System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not
supported.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.Topology.PortalSite.Restore(String
portalUrl, Uri virtualServerUri, String siteDatabaseServer, String
siteDatabaseName, String profileDatabaseServer, String
profileDatabaseName, String serviceDatabaseServer, String
serviceDatabaseName)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.BackupRemote.b.d()

From: SPS on
After excavations of logs files, database tables, MSDN documents, and
other random casting about, all thoroughly amusing as you might expect,
I discovered the cause of this problem is the portal title, which as it
happens contained a ":" character.

How the portal title ended up in a call to
System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission is one of those SharePoint
things that, well, I just wouldn't understand.

The steps to fix the problem are:

1. Use SPSBackup to restore the portal. Restore fails after restoring
the databases. Leave the databases online.

2. Update the field PortalRecoveryBackup in the _SITE database using a
TSQL command such as the following (substitute your own portal titles
in the second and third replace() arguments):

update PortalProperties set PortalRecoveryBackup = (
select replace(substring(PortalRecoveryBackup, 1, 4000), 'Unsupported
:','Supported ') from PortalProperties)

3. Use SharePoint Portal Central Administration, select "Create a
portal", select "Restore a portal", and then specify the restored
database names.