From: cw on
We have a client with a SQL2000 EE sp3 on Win2003 EE as a 2 node cluster.
The the nodes are 16 CPUs each with 18GBs memory. The boot.ini has the /PAE
switch (no /3GB) and the SQL server does not have the AWE setting turned on.
Will the SQL server use more than 2GB memory with the AWE set to 0 and MAX
memory set to ~14GBs?

Thanks

From: Uri Dimant on
cw
You set MAX memory to 14GB?

From: cw on
This is an inherirted system from long ago, but still up & running.
Under the SQL Server Properties memory tab, the Maximum MB is set to 14336
MBs ( ~14 GBs).

The Task Mgr is showing 1,761,624 K Memory usage for the SQL server service.
From a Perfmon, the Target Server Memory (KB) counter is showing an Avg
~1,675,900 KBs and the Total Server Memory (KB) counter is showing an avg
~1,676, 062 KBs.

I'm trying to find out if the AWE is required for a SQL2000 server so it can
use more memory than it is.

-- Thanks

From: Erland Sommarskog on
cw (cw(a)3mc.com) writes:
> This is an inherirted system from long ago, but still up & running.
> Under the SQL Server Properties memory tab, the Maximum MB is set to 14336
> MBs ( ~14 GBs).
>
> The Task Mgr is showing 1,761,624 K Memory usage for the SQL server
> service.
> From a Perfmon, the Target Server Memory (KB) counter is showing an Avg
> ~1,675,900 KBs and the Total Server Memory (KB) counter is showing an avg
> ~1,676, 062 KBs.
>
> I'm trying to find out if the AWE is required for a SQL2000 server so it
> can use more memory than it is.

Yes, you need to enable AWE to be able to use that memory. (You also need
/PAE, but I see that you already have that.)

I think you need to restart SQL Server after the change, but I'm not sure.

What I do know, though, is that in Task Manager SQL Server will appear to
have less memory than before, because the memory allocated through AWE is
not visible in Task Manager, except in Page File Usage.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Wojciech Garwol Wojciech on
"Erland Sommarskog" wrote:

> I think you need to restart SQL Server after the change, but I'm not sure.

The restart is needed.

Regards, Wojciech Garwol