From: Jeroen Mostert on
On 2010-07-30 00:32, Mecn wrote:
> I do use linked servers to all our current production 32 bit (OS and SQL)
> servers.
> If we have 64 bit(both OS and SQL 2008), how do I read the 32 bit sql server
> through linked server from 64 bit SQL?

This is no problem. The problem is only for data sources that have *only*
32-bit drivers. SQL Server has both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers, so a 64-bit
server can access a 32-bit server just fine through its 64-bit driver and
vice versa. The data on the disk and on the wire is the same, so it doesn't
matter what the bitness of SQL Servers is when they talk to each other.

The problem comes only when you want to access something like a FoxPro
database from a 64-bit SQL Server. There is no 64-bit driver for it (from
Microsoft, at least), so that won't work. (Until recently, there was no
64-bit driver for Access databases either, but that has since become
available.) In general, though, expect older database technologies to
increasingly lack 64-bit drivers.

--
J.

From: Mecn on