From: Mecn on
Hi,

Does anyone know the diff between SQL2008 32 bit adn 64 bit.
What kind of situation the we need to have WIN 64 bit + sql server 64 bit?

Thanks,

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Mecn (mecn(a)yahoo.com) writes:
> Does anyone know the diff between SQL2008 32 bit adn 64 bit.
> What kind of situation the we need to have WIN 64 bit + sql server 64 bit?

The difference is that with 64-bit SQL Server works against a completely
uniform memory space. With 32-bit, there is a lot of special magic going on.

As long as your instance only need to access 1.7 GB of memory, there is not
really any issue. But most SQL Server instances work with bigger databases.
There is a huge difference in speed between reading data from disk and
reafing from memory. For this reason SQL Server tries to cache as much data
in memory as possible.

On a 32-bit machine, it is possible to access more than 2GB of memoery if
you enable something called AWE, Address Windowing Extentions. SQL Server
can use extended memory for its buffer cache only. All other memory it needs
has to be in the regular address space which is available in the 32-bit
world. Sometimes that is sufficient. But sometimes this runs out for one
reason or another, and this is usually painful.

In 64-bit SQL Server, all memory can be used for anything.

There is one major drawback with 64-bit SQL Server and that is if you use
linked servers to data sources for which there are only 32-bit OLE DB
providers or 32-bit ODBC drivers. The same applies if you access 32-bit OLE
objects or 32-bit extended stored procedures. These objects will not work
with 64-bit SQL Servers.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: John Bell on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:56:35 -0400, "Mecn" <mecn(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know the diff between SQL2008 32 bit adn 64 bit.
>What kind of situation the we need to have WIN 64 bit + sql server 64 bit?
>
>Thanks,

The biggest advantages for 64 bit throughout is the better memory
management. You can run 32bit SQL server on 64 bit Windows but you it
does you would still need AWE to get more memory usage so it will not
be the optimal use of the hardware.

Any saving on cost with buying 32 it hardware would be offset by the
lower performance and longevity of the system.

John
From: Mecn on
Thanks lot.

From: Mecn on
I do use linked servers to all our current production 32 bit (OS and SQL)
servers.
If we have 64 bit(both OS and SQL 2008), how do I read the 32 bit sql server
through linked server from 64 bit SQL?
Because of the drawback with 64-bit SQL Server and that is if you use