From: prema on
Hi All,

First of all i am beginner to SSIS in MS SQL.
I have an issue with while running SSIS packages in SQL Serer 2008.
While excecuting the SSIS packages, all the other applications accessing
this SQL Serer 2008 database will become slow in process even if both SSIS
packages and applications are accessing different databases.
I am curious know the reason for this.
So awaiting for your Reply.
Let me know if you need more information to answer this.
Thanks in advance and Regards,
SQL USER

From: Dan Guzman on
> While excecuting the SSIS packages, all the other applications accessing
> this SQL Serer 2008 database will become slow in process even if both
> SSIS
> packages and applications are accessing different databases.
> I am curious know the reason for this.

The likely cause is that SQL Server and SSIS are competing for the same CPU
and memory resources. If the package uses a lot of memory (e.g. large
in-memory lookups) or CPU (e.g. intensive transformations in parallel), then
SQL Server response time will be impacted.

When you run applications (including SSIS) on the same box as the database
server, consider setting max SQL Server memory to prevent thrashing. Also,
consider limiting the number of parallel tasks in the package and/or run
during off-peak hours.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

From: prema via SQLMonster.com on
Thanks a lot .

From: prema via SQLMonster.com on
Hi again,

I need some more information for my below query if you can provide.
My SQL DB (SQL SERVER 2008 complete Package) is installed in Windows Server
2008 (Service Pack 1) of type 64-bit OS and I am using 32GB of RAM.
But the application is Installed in other Box and not the one where this SQL
is installed. And this application is accessing SQL as a backend only.
But when you run SSIS packages in SQL SERVER 2008 (local machine) the
application(s) that is/are installed in other box(es) accessing this SQL as
a backend, will become slow in process.
I have set the SQL memory to maximum and still facing the same problem.
Any help for this issue is highly appreciated.

Thanks for your usual help.
SQL USER

We are using Data

From: Dan Guzman on
Run Performance Monitor against the server while the package is running.
The key metrics to monitor are:

Memory:Pages/sec: This should average at or near zero, with occasional
spikes. If you see a lot of paging, reduce SQL Server Max memory so that
there is enough memory for SSIS and SQL Server to run concurrently without
paging.

Processor:% Processor Time: Verify all CPUs are not at capacity. If CPU is
high due to SSIS queries, perform query and index tuning. If you have
parallel plans, consider adding the OPTION (MAXDOP 1) to reduce processor
utilization in deference to OLTP performance.

Physical Disk:Avg. Disk Queue Length: This should average under 2 times the
number of physical spindles. Query and index tuning of SSIS queries can
mitigate I/O bottlenecks.

If your SSIS package performs a lot of inserts or updates, ensure log files
are on different physical disks than the data files.