From: Robert Coe on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:59:06 -0700 (PDT), "bigstormpicture.com"
<digicana(a)gmail.com> wrote:
:
: On Jul 23, 11:20 pm, Gilford Brimly <gilfordbri...(a)spamless.com>
: wrote:
:
: > I remember seeing snaps like these once. When I was in first or second
: > grade. There was a book in the kids section of the library called something
: > like "Beginner's Scrapbook-Photography for Kids!" Only they weren't all
: > ruined by being tilted or the subject off the side of the frames or cut in
: > half. I hardly see how a more expensive camera will help you when you can't
: > even do what any 6 to 8 year old kid can do with a plastic-lensed
: > 126-Instamatic camera 45 years ago.
:
: That's a bit harsh, non?

The author of that sneering diatribe is insane. He posts here and on other
photography newsgroups under countless aliases. (Actually, this was a fairly
tame example of his work; he's usually worse.) We've tried responding in kind,
and we've tried ignoring him. We've even tried being civil to him. Nothing has
helped.

Bob
From: DanP on
On Jul 24, 10:33 am, bobwilliams <myt...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
> > The Powershot SX120 IS is good, but it just can't match the DSLR.
>
> > I mixed all my holiday pics together and asked a few folks to pick the best
> > 10 shots.  The winners were all from the XSi.
>
> > That's not to say the SX120 does bad work, the small sensor just doesn't
> > seem to pull through with the same kick as the larger DSLR chip.
>
> > Now, if I only had one of those nice FF bodies...  :)
>
> > Take Care,
> > Dudley
>
> Try taking a few shots with your XSi and your SX 120 at fl=360mm.
> Hell! Try using it at 200 mm.
> Which camera gives you the best picture?

I own a SX100 which has same zoom range as the SX120.
I get better results cropping shots with my 500D (RebelT1i) at 250mm.

DanP
From: DanP on
On Jul 25, 9:25 pm, Gilford Brimly <gilfordbri...(a)spamless.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:59:06 -0700 (PDT), "bigstormpicture.com"
>

> <digic...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Jul 23, 11:20 pm, Gilford Brimly <gilfordbri...(a)spamless.com>
> >wrote:
>
> >> I remember seeing snaps like these once. When I was in first or second
> >> grade. There was a book in the kids section of the library called something
> >> like "Beginner's Scrapbook-Photography for Kids!" Only they weren't all
> >> ruined by being tilted or the subject off the side of the frames or cut in
> >> half. I hardly see how a more expensive camera will help you when you can't
> >> even do what any 6 to 8 year old kid can do with a plastic-lensed
> >> 126-Instamatic camera 45 years ago.
>
> >That's a bit harsh, non?
>
> >- -Ryan
>
> You have a problem with honesty and truth?

Socket on the left hand defending the one on the right.

DanP
From: bobwilliams on
DanP wrote:
> On Jul 24, 10:33 am, bobwilliams <myt...(a)cox.net> wrote:
>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>> The Powershot SX120 IS is good, but it just can't match the DSLR.
>>> I mixed all my holiday pics together and asked a few folks to pick the best
>>> 10 shots. The winners were all from the XSi.
>>> That's not to say the SX120 does bad work, the small sensor just doesn't
>>> seem to pull through with the same kick as the larger DSLR chip.
>>> Now, if I only had one of those nice FF bodies... :)
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>> Try taking a few shots with your XSi and your SX 120 at fl=360mm.
>> Hell! Try using it at 200 mm.
>> Which camera gives you the best picture?
>
> I own a SX100 which has same zoom range as the SX120.
> I get better results cropping shots with my 500D (RebelT1i) at 250mm.
>
> DanP

Could be, but that required you to buy an extra $250 lens and change it
in the field as needed. I suspect that a cropped image from your kit
lens would not have been so pleasing.
Also the T1i is 15 MP and uses DIGIC 4 processor. The XSi is 12MP and
uses Digic III processor. The T1i is a later more advanced model than
the XSi
Bob
From: DanP on
On Jul 26, 10:51 pm, bobwilliams <myt...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> DanP wrote:
> >> Try taking a few shots with your XSi and your SX 120 at fl=360mm.
> >> Hell! Try using it at 200 mm.
> >> Which camera gives you the best picture?
>
> > I own a SX100 which has same zoom range as the SX120.
> > I get better results cropping shots with my 500D (RebelT1i) at 250mm.
>
> > DanP
>
> Could be, but that required you to buy an extra $250 lens and change it
> in the field as needed. I suspect that a cropped image from your kit
> lens would not have been so pleasing.

The 55-250mm IS is considered a kit lens. http://www.portagadgets.com/uk/product.php?productid=35329

I see being able to change lenses as an advantage. Being forced to use
one lens for all purposes is a disadvantage.

> Also the T1i is 15 MP and uses DIGIC 4 processor. The XSi is 12MP and
> uses Digic III processor. The T1i is a later more advanced model than
> the XSi
> Bob

The picture is limited by the kit (sic) lens, not the sensor or
processor. I never use the full 15Mpx.

My 500D with 3 lenses cost me 3 times what I have paid for my SX100.
Is the 500D 3 times better than the SX100? Yes.

DanP