From: unfrostedpoptart on
Hi.
I'm trying Safari 5 now after using FF. One thing is a real pain.
When I select some text and select right-click "Search in Google", it
bring up the google search in the same tab, which is horrible, since
then loose what I was looking at. In FireFox, doing the same thing
opens the google search in a new tab, which is much more useful. How
do I configure Safari to do this? I haven't been able to find anything
in the preferences.

Thanks!

David
From: Tom Harrington on
In article
<32343362-546d-4ecc-b6c0-c9177e7e2bb6(a)z15g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
unfrostedpoptart <david(a)therogoffs.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm trying Safari 5 now after using FF. One thing is a real pain.
> When I select some text and select right-click "Search in Google", it
> bring up the google search in the same tab, which is horrible, since
> then loose what I was looking at. In FireFox, doing the same thing
> opens the google search in a new tab, which is much more useful. How
> do I configure Safari to do this? I haven't been able to find anything
> in the preferences.

Hold down the command key when clicking on "search in Google" and it'll
open in a new tab. Use command+shift and that new tab will come to the
front automatically.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002
From: Davoud on
unfrostedpoptart:

> > Hi.
> > I'm trying Safari 5 now after using FF. One thing is a real pain.
> > When I select some text and select right-click "Search in Google", it
> > bring up the google search in the same tab, which is horrible...

Hurts when you do that? So don't do that. Do all of your searching at
<http://www.google.com/advanced_search>. Best search experience yet,
IMO. Be sure to set your preferences.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
From: Calum on
On 18/06/10 21:31, unfrostedpoptart wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm trying Safari 5 now after using FF. One thing is a real pain.
> When I select some text and select right-click "Search in Google", it
> bring up the google search in the same tab, which is horrible, since
> then loose what I was looking at. In FireFox, doing the same thing
> opens the google search in a new tab, which is much more useful. How
> do I configure Safari to do this?

You can't configure it to do that AFAIK, but if you hold down the Cmd
key while you click the menu item, it'll open in a new tab.

This trick also applies to all bookmark menu items, bookmark toolbar
items, back/forward buttons, and history menu items.

From: Erilar on
unfrostedpoptart <david(a)therogoffs.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm trying Safari 5 now after using FF. One thing is a real pain.
> When I select some text and select right-click "Search in Google", it
> bring up the google search in the same tab, which is horrible, since
> then loose what I was looking at. In FireFox, doing the same thing
> opens the google search in a new tab, which is much more useful. How
> do I configure Safari to do this? I haven't been able to find anything
> in the preferences.
>
> Thanks!

Can't you. Just open a new tab?

--