From: Mike Lane on
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:22:28 +0000, Chris Ridd wrote
(in article <6om694F4ckb8U1(a)mid.individual.net>):

> On 2008-11-20 18:50:39 +0000, Mike Lane <invalid(a)mac.com> said:
>

>> I get this:
>>
>> Last login: Thu Nov 20 08:06:09 on console
>> mike-lanes-computer-3:~ mike_lane$ cat /etc/hosts
>> ##
>> # Host Database
>> #
>> # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
>> # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
>> ##
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> 255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
>> fe80::1%lo0 localhost
>> mike-lanes-computer-3:~ mike_lane$
>
> OK, that's the normal contents.
>
> I've not found any technical description of how the anti-phishing works
> (not even the latest WebKit sources), beyond that it "contacts" a
> server, probably at google, which replies with a yay or nay. So it is
> hard to debug the problem.
>
> It must either be in trying to resolve the address of the server
> holding the anti-phishing list (ie DNS) or that your computer/ISP can't
> connect to the anti-phishing server.
>
> As it is intermittent, perhaps the problem's just reliability in one of
> the above?

OK maybe, but what puzzles me is that I have just checked this again
by clicking on a link in a recent email to a phishing website.

Safari comes up with its correct warning page and *at the same time*
the "checkForPhishing failed: can�t find host" message appears in the
system log file. So it isn't really intermittent at all. The system
log file message is just wrong in this case
[sigh]

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2008-11-20 23:23:29 +0000, Mike Lane <invalid(a)mac.com> said:

> OK maybe, but what puzzles me is that I have just checked this again
> by clicking on a link in a recent email to a phishing website.
>
> Safari comes up with its correct warning page and *at the same time*
> the "checkForPhishing failed: can�t find host" message appears in the
> system log file. So it isn't really intermittent at all. The system
> log file message is just wrong in this case
> [sigh]

I've only got the anti-phishing warning once, by deliberately testing
on some obvious junk mail. There was no mention of phishing in the
logs.. Maybe it can do multiple checks and only one is failing?
--
Chris

From: Mike Lane on
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:13:03 +0000, Chris Ridd wrote
(in article <6on5c0F4dkvlU1(a)mid.individual.net>):

> On 2008-11-20 23:23:29 +0000, Mike Lane <invalid(a)mac.com> said:
>
>> OK maybe, but what puzzles me is that I have just checked this again
>> by clicking on a link in a recent email to a phishing website.
>>
>> Safari comes up with its correct warning page and *at the same time*
>> the "checkForPhishing failed: can�t find host" message appears in the
>> system log file. So it isn't really intermittent at all. The system
>> log file message is just wrong in this case
>> [sigh]
>
> I've only got the anti-phishing warning once, by deliberately testing
> on some obvious junk mail. There was no mention of phishing in the
> logs.. Maybe it can do multiple checks and only one is failing?

That does seem a reasonable explanation. There are quite possibly
several anti-phishing databases that it can check with. It's a pity
Apple don't publish what's really going on here, but I suppose that
might make the security measures less effective.