From: dorayme on
In article
<no.email-76417A.09420013042010(a)news1.chem.utoronto.ca>,
David Stone <no.email(a)domain.invalid> wrote:

> In article <J0Bwn.18926$pv.1799(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote:
> > "Barely Audible" <anywhere(a)but.here> wrote in message
> > >
> > >I notice that my web site looks okay in Firefox but doiesn't render
> > >correctly in Safari...
> >
> > And which web site would that be?
>
> I have almost never had a web page I've written appear differently
> in Firefox and Safari, and never since Safari 4.x/Firefox 3.x.
> That is using html 4.01 strict and css 2.1, making sure that all
> pages validate. If you have errors in either your html or css, you
> are more likely to see differences between browsers based on how
> their coders decided to handle such errors.

You are not wrong about this. I have always liked the way Safari
(at least on 3) behaves like a mule if you get some css wrong. A
nice tell tale.

> > > Is there something I can put in the CSS so that if a safari browser
> > > visits
> > > the web site It will alter the CSs to suit?
>
> There is no Safari equivalent to IE conditional comments that allow you
> to add IE-specific css, if that's what you mean, largely because you
> shouldn't need them.

There is a possible world where IE browsers are the only ones
that *don't* have conditionals and MS web geeks make sites for IE
and cope with *all* other pesky browsers with conditionals.

--
dorayme
From: Albert Ross on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:43:02 +1000, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>In article
><no.email-76417A.09420013042010(a)news1.chem.utoronto.ca>,
> David Stone <no.email(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <J0Bwn.18926$pv.1799(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
>> "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote:
>> > "Barely Audible" <anywhere(a)but.here> wrote in message

>> > And which web site would that be?
>>
>> I have almost never had a web page I've written appear differently
>> in Firefox and Safari, and never since Safari 4.x/Firefox 3.x.
>> That is using html 4.01 strict and css 2.1, making sure that all
>> pages validate. If you have errors in either your html or css, you
>> are more likely to see differences between browsers based on how
>> their coders decided to handle such errors.

Yes they seem well matched, Opera sometimes may render something
slightly different but not by much

>You are not wrong about this. I have always liked the way Safari
>(at least on 3) behaves like a mule if you get some css wrong. A
>nice tell tale.

You just reminded me I should also run Amaya over my site. That's
another one which is Very Strict
From: dorayme on
In article <9bfes5p7j6to1iogjm6f6obfd41gd1sieg(a)4ax.com>,
Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:43:02 +1000, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:

> >You are not wrong about this. I have always liked the way Safari
> >(at least on 3) behaves like a mule if you get some css wrong. A
> >nice tell tale.
>
> You just reminded me I should also run Amaya over my site. That's
> another one which is Very Strict

A Mac browser called iCab has a little face that is smiley and
green if everything is kosher in the html and css, and other
redder colours if not (clicking the non-green non-smiley face
gives you the report on the trouble iCab perceivs, *mostly*
accurate and pinpointing). It is a brilliant device.

It is a wonder other browsers have not made such a simple
facility at least an option. Perhaps FF has an add on that does
this? If not, perhaps someone should write one. I can't tell you
how useful this little face has been over the years, no need to
do anything but open a page in the browser and the check is
instant.

--
dorayme
From: Bill Braun on
dorayme wrote:
> In article <9bfes5p7j6to1iogjm6f6obfd41gd1sieg(a)4ax.com>,
> Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:43:02 +1000, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
>> wrote:

>>> You are not wrong about this. I have always liked the way Safari
>>> (at least on 3) behaves like a mule if you get some css wrong. A
>>> nice tell tale.
>> You just reminded me I should also run Amaya over my site. That's
>> another one which is Very Strict
>
> A Mac browser called iCab has a little face that is smiley and
> green if everything is kosher in the html and css, and other
> redder colours if not (clicking the non-green non-smiley face
> gives you the report on the trouble iCab perceivs, *mostly*
> accurate and pinpointing). It is a brilliant device.
>
> It is a wonder other browsers have not made such a simple
> facility at least an option. Perhaps FF has an add on that does
> this? If not, perhaps someone should write one. I can't tell you
> how useful this little face has been over the years, no need to
> do anything but open a page in the browser and the check is
> instant.

Have you tried Web Developer add-on for FF. Very nice suite
of tools. Includes validating (though what it does is run it
through W3).

I also use Amaya, and while it has its quirks, it is very good.

Bill
From: Albert Ross on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:47:33 -0400, Bill Braun <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>dorayme wrote:
>> In article <9bfes5p7j6to1iogjm6f6obfd41gd1sieg(a)4ax.com>,
>> Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>>> You just reminded me I should also run Amaya over my site. That's
>>> another one which is Very Strict
>>
>> A Mac browser called iCab has a little face that is smiley and
>> green if everything is kosher in the html and css, and other
>> redder colours if not (clicking the non-green non-smiley face
>> gives you the report on the trouble iCab perceivs, *mostly*
>> accurate and pinpointing). It is a brilliant device.
>>
>> It is a wonder other browsers have not made such a simple
>> facility at least an option. Perhaps FF has an add on that does
>> this? If not, perhaps someone should write one. I can't tell you
>> how useful this little face has been over the years, no need to
>> do anything but open a page in the browser and the check is
>> instant.
>>

>Have you tried Web Developer add-on for FF. Very nice suite
>of tools. Includes validating (though what it does is run it
>through W3).

Yes, and Firebug, both first class additions. Firebug will show you
the relevent css for each html element.

Oh and Dust-Me Selectors will highlight any css that no longer applies
to the page you apply it to

>I also use Amaya, and while it has its quirks, it is very good.

I never worked out how to use it yet :(