From: Bill Braun on
Albert Ross wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:47:33 -0400, Bill Braun <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:

>>> A Mac browser called iCab has a little face that is smiley and
>>> green if everything is kosher in the html and css, and other
>>> redder colours if not (clicking the non-green non-smiley face
>>> gives you the report on the trouble iCab perceivs, *mostly*
>>> accurate and pinpointing). It is a brilliant device.
>>>
>>> It is a wonder other browsers have not made such a simple
>>> facility at least an option. Perhaps FF has an add on that does
>>> this? If not, perhaps someone should write one. I can't tell you
>>> how useful this little face has been over the years, no need to
>>> do anything but open a page in the browser and the check is
>>> instant.
>>>

>> Have you tried Web Developer add-on for FF. Very nice suite
>> of tools. Includes validating (though what it does is run it
>> through W3).
>
> Yes, and Firebug, both first class additions. Firebug will show you
> the relevent css for each html element.
>
> Oh and Dust-Me Selectors will highlight any css that no longer applies
> to the page you apply it to
>
>> I also use Amaya, and while it has its quirks, it is very good.
>
> I never worked out how to use it yet :(

Drop me a private note and I can walk you through it. I
thought the learning curve was pretty easy.

bbraun at hlthsys dot com

Bill B
From: Albert Ross on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:15:11 -0400, Bill Braun <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Albert Ross wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:47:33 -0400, Bill Braun <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I also use Amaya, and while it has its quirks, it is very good.
>>
>> I never worked out how to use it yet :(
>

>Drop me a private note and I can walk you through it. I
>thought the learning curve was pretty easy.

Thanks but I think I'll pass! Over time I've used a whole bunch of
programs and I'm currently using a (rather elderly) text editor with
handholding. This works well for my purposes so long as I notice where
it auto-adds a closing tag after I've opened one.

Amaya breaks my site where all other browsers work, I've found this to
occur too often to be bothered with it.
From: David C. Stone on
On Apr 15, 6:08 pm, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article <9bfes5p7j6to1iogjm6f6obfd41gd1s...(a)4ax.com>,
>  Albert Ross <s...(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:43:02 +1000, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au>
> > wrote:

> > >You are not wrong about this. I have always liked the way Safari
> > >(at least on 3) behaves like a mule if you get some css wrong. A
> > >nice tell tale.
>
> > You just reminded me I should also run Amaya over my site. That's
> > another one which is Very Strict
>
> A Mac browser called iCab has a little face that is smiley and
> green if everything is kosher in the html and css, and other
> redder colours if not (clicking the non-green non-smiley face
> gives you the report on the trouble iCab perceivs, *mostly*
> accurate and pinpointing). It is a brilliant device.

I liked that too. In Firefox, select Tools -> Error Console
Curiously, google.groups.ca generates lots of warnings...

From: dorayme on
In article
<c996e2f5-94a7-4373-ae20-597c7275b87e(a)f13g2000vbl.googlegroups.co
m>,
"David C. Stone" <dstone(a)chem.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> On Apr 15, 6:08 pm, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > A Mac browser called iCab has a little face that is smiley and
> > green if everything is kosher in the html and css, and other
> > redder colours if not (clicking the non-green non-smiley face
> > gives you the report on the trouble iCab perceivs, *mostly*
> > accurate and pinpointing). It is a brilliant device.
>
> I liked that too. In Firefox, select Tools -> Error Console

I like that you do not have to select anything at all in iCab to
know you have stuffed in such an nice intuitive way without
having to go down any path. Other browsers should buy the idea
from Alexander Clauss.

--
dorayme
From: Albert Ross on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:55:50 +1000, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>In article
><c996e2f5-94a7-4373-ae20-597c7275b87e(a)f13g2000vbl.googlegroups.co
>m>,
> "David C. Stone" <dstone(a)chem.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 15, 6:08�pm, dorayme <dora...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> > A Mac browser called iCab has a little face that is smiley and
>> > green if everything is kosher in the html and css, and other
>> > redder colours if not (clicking the non-green non-smiley face
>> > gives you the report on the trouble iCab perceivs, *mostly*
>> > accurate and pinpointing). It is a brilliant device.
>>
>> I liked that too. In Firefox, select Tools -> Error Console
>
>I like that you do not have to select anything at all in iCab to
>know you have stuffed in such an nice intuitive way without
>having to go down any path. Other browsers should buy the idea
>from Alexander Clauss.

Except IE, which would smile like a kinfe-wielding psychopath while
downloading viruses and rootkits