From: Mason C on
Is there somewhere an instruction on what to do to
make a web page work in *all* common browsers?
*Most* of the common browsers? In * IE6 and 7 * ?
( forget text browsers.)

MasonC
From: Joshua Cranmer on
On 04/09/2010 04:12 PM, Mason C wrote:
> Is there somewhere an instruction on what to do to
> make a web page work in *all* common browsers?
> *Most* of the common browsers? In * IE6 and 7 * ?
> ( forget text browsers.)

Simple: don't use any advanced CSS or HTML. Stick to the normal tags,
avoid <object>, and use that which can be found in CSS 1, and you should
work in pretty much every major browser.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
From: Jeff Thies on
Mason C wrote:
> Is there somewhere an instruction on what to do to
> make a web page work in *all* common browsers?

Not that I know of.

Use a strict doc type and don't use any CSS that IE6 doesn't grok
(there are charts with compatibility). Caveats to floats and clearing
them (zoom: 1 (IE); and overflow: hidden (all else)), Doraymes Float
House covers this. Different browsers (ie IE) handle list padding and
margins, so it is usually a good idea to explicitly set them. There's
good resources on lists. Caveats also on inline-block, if you use it,
many don't.

There's fiddly bits about margins and sizes for headings and
paragraphs, if you want these to track cross browser. Some people care,
some don't.

It's not that hard to make a page be not broken in all major
browsers. It's an art getting it to look the same. With all due respect
to the accessibility hounds here, having margins and columns that start
unevenly, isn't broken but is a sign of unconcern for design. Exact
appearance is not what the web is about, fonts always look better in
Safari, you just live with it and other minor bits.

There's often little reason to write new html or CSS for a new site.
Just understand the html you usually use.

I usually don't worry about what I write. Don't use what you don't
understand. That always causes trouble.

IE6 and and IE7 aren't big problems as far as breaking a site. Now,
IE5 and NS4, those were tricky beasts.

Jeff

From: dorayme on
In article <hpoc9i$jud$1(a)news-int.gatech.edu>,
Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18(a)verizon.invalid> wrote:

> On 04/09/2010 04:12 PM, Mason C wrote:
> > Is there somewhere an instruction on what to do to
> > make a web page work in *all* common browsers?
> > *Most* of the common browsers? In * IE6 and 7 * ?
> > ( forget text browsers.)
>
> Simple: don't use any advanced CSS or HTML. Stick to the normal tags,
> avoid <object>, and use that which can be found in CSS 1, and you should
> work in pretty much every major browser.

That is very optimistic advice!

Is the use of float advanced? IE has many bugs and there is no
particular known really practical set of CSS selectors,
properties, and values that can guarantee IE behaves itself.

But you are right about the KISS principle, it will reduce the
need for unwanted effects in IE and, just as importantly,
increase the ease with which to test and fix any unwanted effects
with whatever means are appropriate (e.g. special CSS for IE's
eyes only)

--
dorayme
From: dorayme on
In article <hpodne$p80$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
Jeff Thies <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote:

> Don't use what you don't
> understand. That always causes trouble.

That is very good advice indeed. Too often there is a temptation
to get all fancy and to use stuff one has seen the effects of in
one or two cases but which is not really understood. When trouble
brews, you are handicapped from the start. Either understand what
is being done or substitute something you do understand (even if
it is a little plainer in effect).

--
dorayme
 |  Next  |  Last