From: Albert Ross on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:47:52 +1000, dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>In article <hpodne$p80$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
> Jeff Thies <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote:
>
>> Don't use what you don't
>> understand. That always causes trouble.
>
>That is very good advice indeed. Too often there is a temptation
>to get all fancy and to use stuff one has seen the effects of in
>one or two cases but which is not really understood. When trouble
>brews, you are handicapped from the start. Either understand what
>is being done or substitute something you do understand (even if
>it is a little plainer in effect).

BTDT

I may have a very small penis but a typical male type brain, I learn
best by doing stuff, undoing, redoing etc. and THEN reading up on how
it worked, or didn't.

By the time I've finished that process I've usually decided to do
something simpler which looks nearly the same but which I understand.

My knowledge does increase but that doesn't mean I end up using what
I've just learned

I nearly finished with this now

http://www.combines.org.uk/Combines/intro.html

weirdly there's a grey background to the text in the main column in
Opera alone, other than that it looks and works more or less identical

Next job would have been tidying up the css except I just received
almost an entire DVD full of photos which I need to process and add
the relevent ones. Currently I'm using 3 stylesheets which need
refining into one. It'll get finished eventually but even my
interruptions are getting interrupted . . .
From: dorayme on
In article <pt91s5dglq2ra47qciu58auf7mcanngc3j(a)4ax.com>,
Albert Ross <spam(a)devnull.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>http://www.combines.org.uk/Combines/intro.html
>
> weirdly there's a grey background to the text in the main column in
> Opera alone, other than that it looks and works more or less identical

Sometimes these problems arise because of failure to supply a
colour for background to elements. I notice several places where
color (foreground or text) are supplied but not background and
other places where just background but not foreground. The former
is particularly risky. Go through your CSS and fix this up,
supply explicit #fff (if that is the default background you want
for your pages) where you specify color.) See if you can fix this
first before I take a closer look.

The reason that this sometimes happens when a background is not
specifically defined is that you can see an ancestor's background
(which has had a background defined or set by the browser as
default. One subscriber to this usenet group - whose name starts
with a B and who rides motorbikes - sets his browser's viewport
background to a colour that makes him chunder* to alert him to
the problem lest he forgets to attend to his elements'
backgrounds. He keeps several spare keyboards.

An element like P, for example, if its background is not set by
the author, is transparent, that is the default. It is like glass
and you can see the parent or some ancestor that has got a
specific background, be it a colour or an image.

This does not mean, by the way, that you should always set
backgrounds to all elements. Don't do this, that would be to
overcode! It is just that if you do set a foreground, you better
make sure the background is what you want and there are no
surprises.

-------------------
"chunder" is an Australian word for "vomit". Others are
"technicolor yawn", "chuck", "puke", "throw up", "spew". And
there are many more here and around the world given the
disgraceful overuse of alcohol by earthlings who fail to abide by
Aristotle's Doctrine of the Mean.

--
dorayme
From: freemont on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:00:59 -0400, Ed Mullen writ:

> But, no, dear God, don't send someone off to the arcane rules of the
> W3C. That's just cruel and unusual punishment which will instantly
> befuddle and numb any novice.

Christ.

Ed.

Ok, my wine runneth out.

I check back in the morning. :-)
--
⁂ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
From: Jeff Thies on
freemont wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:00:59 -0400, Ed Mullen writ:
>
>> But, no, dear God, don't send someone off to the arcane rules of the
>> W3C. That's just cruel and unusual punishment which will instantly
>> befuddle and numb any novice.
>
> Christ.

Well, I agree with Ed Mullen.

The W3C is arcane and hard to understand and it tells you nothing
about support levels. Not to mention the sheer volume of it. Just try
using all that lovely CSS3 stuff and see how well you do.

The W3C tells you nothing practical about using floats. You can not
make a modern website without a good knowledge of the weird bits about
floats.

Alistapart, is a better resource. Add Doraymes Float House. Floats
are essential for table less layouts.

I think we need a good tutorial on descendents, so the newbie doesn't
have a stylesheet that is an unmaintainable lengthy mess.

The biggest problem I see is not issues with CSS support, you can do
a lot with the basics, and unsupported rules seldom break a site in
modern browsers. The biggest problem is the relative newbie tendency to
keep finagling with the html and css until they get what they desire.
You finagle when you don't understand, and after you are done, nobody
can understand the mess you have.

The W3C does nothing to prevent any of that.

Take it from someone who has seen a lot of mystery html and css.

Jeff

From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:19:54 -0400, Jeff Thies <jeff_thies(a)att.net>
wrote:
<sniP>

>The biggest problem is the relative newbie tendency to keep
>finagling with the html and css until they get what they desire.

Especially if you've started off with a downloaded template,
which may or may not be valid HTML/CSS, then try to change
it to a slightly different layout using 'advice' from various sources
which, again, may or may not be correct. ***
(Been there, done that . . .)

*** Not, I hasten to add, a problem encountered in ciwas !
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last