From: Jock McSquiggle on
Dell C521 running XP Pro (SP3) got hit by fake anti-vir malware (XP defender
2010 I believe). Followed all advice from forums but could not rid the PC
of this and attempted a repair install. Now I cannot get into any of the Safe
Mode options and Last Known Good Config just sends me round in a loop i.e. I
get back to the selection screen again. I am now concerned this may be h/w
related but I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
--
O++++++++++++&++++++++++++O
From: sandy58 on
On Apr 4, 10:27 am, Jock McSquiggle
<JockMcSquig...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Dell C521 running XP Pro (SP3) got hit by fake anti-vir malware (XP defender
> 2010  I believe).  Followed all advice from forums but could not rid the PC
> of this and attempted a repair install. Now I cannot get into any of the Safe
> Mode options and Last Known Good Config just sends me round in a loop i.e.. I
> get back to the selection screen again. I am now concerned this may be h/w
> related but I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
> --
> O++++++++++++&++++++++++++O

http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/remove-total-pc-defender-2010
Go to "how to remove.....manually"
From: Jose on
On Apr 4, 4:27 am, Jock McSquiggle
<JockMcSquig...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Dell C521 running XP Pro (SP3) got hit by fake anti-vir malware (XP defender
> 2010  I believe).  Followed all advice from forums but could not rid the PC
> of this and attempted a repair install. Now I cannot get into any of the Safe
> Mode options and Last Known Good Config just sends me round in a loop i.e.. I
> get back to the selection screen again. I am now concerned this may be h/w
> related but I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
> --
> O++++++++++++&++++++++++++O

I do not see how visiting a WWW page with instructions on how to
remove what Jock believes to be XP Defender 2010 will help if the
computer will not boot.

Depending on the sequence of events in troubleshooting there could be
many things wrong - especially after an attempted Repair Install. If
there have been other efforts (the all advice from other forums), they
can prevent booting too - we do not know what "all advice from other
forums" means.

The computer must be booted on something to attempt repairs.

Remember we cannot see your computer.

Please describe what "sends me around in a loop" means to you.

Pick one Safe Mode option and describe what happens when you select
it.

Describe what happens when you try to boot normally.

If you observed an

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that matches the
Service Pack of the afflicted system. This is not the same as any
System or Recovery type CDs that may have come with your system.

If you are not sure what you have, I would suggest you create a
bootable XP Recovery Console CD. Then you have a known environment -
the XP Recovery Console and from there you start troubleshooting.

I would start here:

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available:

For each of your hard disks, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r
From: Twayne on
In
Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> typed:
> On Apr 4, 4:27 am, Jock McSquiggle
> <JockMcSquig...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Dell C521 running XP Pro (SP3) got hit by fake anti-vir
>> malware (XP defender 2010 I believe). Followed all
>> advice from forums but could not rid the PC of this and
>> attempted a repair install. Now I cannot get into any of
>> the Safe Mode options and Last Known Good Config just
>> sends me round in a loop i.e. I get back to the selection
>> screen again. I am now concerned this may be h/w related
>> but I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance. --
>> O++++++++++++&++++++++++++O
>
> I do not see how visiting a WWW page with instructions on
> how to remove what Jock believes to be XP Defender 2010
> will help if the computer will not boot.
>
> Depending on the sequence of events in troubleshooting
> there could be many things wrong - especially after an
> attempted Repair Install. If there have been other efforts
> (the all advice from other forums), they can prevent
> booting too - we do not know what "all advice from other
> forums" means.
>
> The computer must be booted on something to attempt repairs.
>
> Remember we cannot see your computer.
>
> Please describe what "sends me around in a loop" means to
> you.
>
> Pick one Safe Mode option and describe what happens when
> you select it.
>
> Describe what happens when you try to boot normally.
>
> If you observed an
>
> Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD that
> matches the Service Pack of the afflicted system. This is
> not the same as any System or Recovery type CDs that may
> have come with your system.
>
> If you are not sure what you have, I would suggest you
> create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD. Then you have a
> known environment - the XP Recovery Console and from there
> you start troubleshooting.
>
> I would start here:
>
> You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP
> media is available:
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic276527.html
>
> For each of your hard disks, you should then run:
>
> chkdsk /r
>
> For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:
>
> chkdsk c: /r

Not certain, but I think /r only works from the Recovery
Console, right? If you decide to do it from a Command Prompt
use /f instead if the /r won't work.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Jock McSquiggle on
Again, thanks for posting back and here is an update to my original post. I

managed to get round the 'Safe Mode looping' scenario, by using the Recovery

Console from the disc I mentioned and followed the instructions at the

following link. http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Cannot-complete-WindowsXP-

repair-install-Safe-Mode-t92558.html

This at last allowed me to boot into Safe Mode and I managed to complete my

repair install. (this still hung at the Windows XP splash screen but from

what I have read on other forums this may be a video driver problem but I

still have to check this out).

I then ran MBAM which reported a whole host of threats, 24 in total, which I

quarantined and deleted. Or so I thought. On re-running MBAM it still

reported on 4 registry keys and although choosing to quarantine and delete

them, on rebooting to remove them, and re-scanning, they are still there!!

I have not tried to remove these via regedit, but do you think that would

work? With regards to creating a Recovery Console disc, if I can use the one

from my original shipped disc, is that not the same program? Also as part of

the Dell diagnostics, I used their troubleshooting menus to check out memory

and the hard drives, and all passed okay. Does CHKDSK do something different

from Dells diagnostics? I appreciate you taking the time to post back.
--
O++++++++++++&++++++++++++O

"Jock McSquiggle" wrote:

> Dell C521 running XP Pro (SP3) got hit by fake anti-vir malware (XP defender
> 2010 I believe). Followed all advice from forums but could not rid the PC
> of this and attempted a repair install. Now I cannot get into any of the Safe
> Mode options and Last Known Good Config just sends me round in a loop i.e. I
> get back to the selection screen again. I am now concerned this may be h/w
> related but I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
> --
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: System Restore