From: Geoff on
Win XP Pro SP3 and updates. I have been "hijacked" by XP Antispyware.
Despite all my efforts to get rid of it it keeps coming back. avdotexe seems
to be the culprit and despite using Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy
and SUPERAntiSpyware the damned malware keeps coming back. I am starting to
despair of getting rid of it! I tried using System Restore to an earlier
date when I had no problem but when the computer reboots it tells me that no
changes have been made! Where to now?

From: Jose on
On Apr 3, 8:32 am, "Geoff" <geoff_...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP3 and updates. I have been "hijacked" by XP Antispyware.
> Despite all my efforts to get rid of it it keeps coming back. avdotexe seems
> to be the culprit and despite using Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy
> and SUPERAntiSpyware the damned malware keeps coming back. I am starting to
> despair of getting rid of it!  I tried using System Restore to an earlier
> date when I had no problem but when the computer reboots it tells me that no
> changes have been made!  Where to now?

Why do you think that you have this malware - there are several
variations and to effectively remove them requires following a
procedure that is well documented. If you do not follow the procedure
and just start trying things - like System Restore and Spybot, you
will not be successful, compound your problem and end up very
frustrated very quickly. You need to use removal methods that are
well documented, have been proven to work and tested on many infected
systems in multiple environments.

If you want to remove it, you should not just be trying things. You
need to be doing things.

It is not trial and error.

Spybot will not help you.
System Restore will not help you.
SAS will not help you.

If neither of these following links apply to you or you cannot follow
them, explain why not and we can do something else:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=38629

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-xp-antispyware-2009

Your System Restore may still need repairing when you get done
removing the malware. It does not make sense to try to get SR working
on a system that is infected.
From: Jim on
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 22:32:51 +1000, "Geoff" <geoff_b41(a)optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>Win XP Pro SP3 and updates. I have been "hijacked" by XP Antispyware.
>Despite all my efforts to get rid of it it keeps coming back. avdotexe seems
>to be the culprit and despite using Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy
>and SUPERAntiSpyware the damned malware keeps coming back. I am starting to
>despair of getting rid of it! I tried using System Restore to an earlier
>date when I had no problem but when the computer reboots it tells me that no
>changes have been made! Where to now?

Have you tried last post here
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=38629
From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
there are a number of
things you can do to
rid yourself of an issue.

however, I am unclear
as to how the issue is
presenting itself to you.

but what you might try
is to boot into safe mode.
because it is unlikely that the
problem you are seeing
will show up in safe mode.

while in safe mode my first
attempt to resolve the
issue is to initiate a
clean boot.

a clean boot will prevent
programs from staring up
with windows in normal
mode.

I believe that the above
is a first good try towards
resolving the problem
because there may be
a startup that is disguised
as being something useful
when in fact it is malware.

if the above pans out,
then you are on the right
path for resolving the issue.

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: Elmo on
Geoff wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP3 and updates. I have been "hijacked" by XP Antispyware.
> Despite all my efforts to get rid of it it keeps coming back. avdotexe seems
> to be the culprit and despite using Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy
> and SUPERAntiSpyware the damned malware keeps coming back. I am starting to
> despair of getting rid of it! I tried using System Restore to an earlier
> date when I had no problem but when the computer reboots it tells me that no
> changes have been made! Where to now?

Download this Avira Antivir Rescue System program which will burn a CD
image to a blank CD. It's updated a few times per day. Insert the CD
into the damaged machine and let it do a scan of your system. Before
starting the scan, select "Configuration" and set to repair or rename
the infected files. Sometimes your machine won't restart after such a
repair process, so you might want to save needed files to another system
before using this. If you can't, then you can move the hard drive to
another machine to copy needed files. You can do that before, or after
this scan.

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Then run these:

Malwarebytes© Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

AVG now has a Rescue CD that's free. They also have a free USB download
that should work on newer systems that can boot from a USB device. Get
them here:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

You can try some of the CD's mentioned at the following site.
BitDefender was my favorite, but if the infected machine can't connect
to the internet to get updates, Avira comes with current virus
definitions. Also, some of these just won't run on some systems,
perhaps because there's no drivers available for some system devices,
motherboard, graphics card, etc. So try a few of these till you find
one that works:

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot. You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

--
Joe =o)