From: sandy58 on
On Apr 3, 2:32 pm, "Geoff" <geoff_b41(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP3 and updates. I have been "hijacked" by XP Antispyware.
> Despite all my efforts to get rid of it it keeps coming back. avdotexe seems
> to be the culprit and despite using Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy
> and SUPERAntiSpyware the damned malware keeps coming back. I am starting to
> despair of getting rid of it!  I tried using System Restore to an earlier
> date when I had no problem but when the computer reboots it tells me that no
> changes have been made!  Where to now?

Hope your e-mail works, Geoff.
From: Geoff on
Thanks but I cannot get into Safe Mode.........I can bring up the choices
(via F8 on bootup) but the arrow keys do not allow me to make a choice :-(

The issue is presenting itself as shown here
http://forums.malwarebytes.org:80/index.php?showtopic=38629

From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
personally I never heard
of that program and should
be listed at the stopbadware
site.

I saw that there was a solution
provided at the link you cited,
but it proved useless to you.

would be nice if someone would
sue the manufacturer in civil
court for damages and distress.

in any case I am going to provide some
of the steps that I would basically
use to rid unwanted programs.

-------------------

what you might try then
is to boot into normal
mode since this is the
only option you have
at the menu.

step 1: initiate a clean
boot by

start>run>msconfig

under that startup tab
disable all the items
that are checked as
enabled.

then apply to save
changes.

step 2: then before you
click ok/close msconfig
double check the
services tab.

and see if there are
third party services that
are suspicious.

in particular look for any
items that may relate to
spywares and antivirus
programs.

such services are not
included with the windows
o.s. are can be disabled.

then click save if needed
and ok out of msconfig.

step 3: open task manager
via ctrl+alt+del

look for that rogue file or
the rogue software under
the process tab.

if you find it, then kill it.

step 4: before rebooting go to
program files and see if
there is a folder pertaining
to that rogue software.

if so then delete it or as
much of its contents as
possible.

step 5: reboot and let us
know of the results of each
step above.

if the above proves useless,

step 6: then you might try to
download process explorer
from microsoft.

then use it to track down the
files that are supporting the
rogue process and delete them.

step 7: if the above still proves
useless then the ultimate option
you have to exercise it to
replace the infected registry
with one that is safely stored
on your system.

however, you will need a xp
cd to boot into the recovery
console to do the above.

From: Jose on
On Apr 5, 7:50 am, "Geoff" <geoff_...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Thanks but I cannot get into Safe Mode.........I can bring up the choices
> (via F8 on bootup) but the arrow keys do not allow me to make a choice  :-(
>
> The issue is presenting itself as shown herehttp://forums.malwarebytes.org:80/index.php?showtopic=38629
>
> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in messagenews:21910712-B490-4FD3-8BB7-E54481C6F67E(a)microsoft.com...

Why are you trying to boot in Safe Mode?

Do you mean you press F8, get the XP boot options menu and your
keyboard does not work so you can choose Safe Mode?

You do not remove this malware in Safe Mode.

The ability to boot in Safe Mode doesn't really matter since the
removal instructions in the link provided do not say anything about
booting in Safe Mode. If Safe Mode is broken, we can fix it later.

You can "try" to do things in Safe Mode that "might work", but doesn't
it make more sense to follow the removal instructions that "do work"
instead of just trying things that might work?

What part of removal the instructions are not working for you?

I do not understand the logic of not following directions that have
been proven to work.
From: Geoff on
Thanks for your ideas but I have now managed to rid myself of the offending
malware. Used various programs that gave the name of the malware within the
registry, prefetch, Windows System32 areas and where the antimalware was not
able/did not remove the offending entries I have done so manually.

However, I am still stuck with not being able to choose Safe Mode (or any
other mode) in the XP boot options menu when using the F8 key. I look
forward to your help with how to solve this problem.