From: Dennis on
I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont like it. when I put
in the XP disc it said compatibility issues. What do I need to do to get rid
of Win 7 and put on XP Pro?
From: LVTravel on

"Dennis" <Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont like it. when I
> put
> in the XP disc it said compatibility issues. What do I need to do to get
> rid
> of Win 7 and put on XP Pro?

You may not be able to. First have you gone to the manufacturer's web site
and downloaded all the XP drivers for your computer model, including but not
limited to: motherboard, audio, video and network? If not do so before
trying to install XP. Can't find the drivers. Try the component
manufacturer's web site. Still can't find, you can't install XP on the
computer.

2nd. You will need to boot from the Windows XP disk and remove the
partition that Windows 7 is installed onto and then repartition, format and
install XP. A newer computer will have a SATA drive interface and XP does
not. Therefore you either need to have the XP SATA drivers on a floppy disk
and press F6 during the boot process or turn the SATA controller to it's
"IDE" mode in the computer's bios to be able to install XP on the computer.
You have to totally strip the boot partition on the hard drive to
"downgrade" and then install XP from scratch.

3rd. If this is an OEM disk that you have from another computer by
licensing rules you would not be permitted to install the operating system
on any other computer than the first it was installed onto. If retail it
can't be currently installed onto any other computer. If a branded disk
(Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) it is an OEM and it is also probably bios locked
to the original computer it was installed onto.

From: LD55ZRA on
Dennis wrote:

>I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont like it. when I put
>in the XP disc it said compatibility issues. What do I need to do to get rid
>of Win 7 and put on XP Pro?

You need to insert your Windows XP CD in the drive and you need to boot
the machine. You also need to follow the instructions on the screen
mainly you need to choose Quick Format and to reinstall Windows XP.

Please first check from your BIOS that your system is configured to boot
from a CD first rather from the HD. If you don't know how to do this, I
suggest read this article:

<http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm>

hth

From: Richard in AZ on

"Dennis" <Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont like it. when I put
> in the XP disc it said compatibility issues. What do I need to do to get rid
> of Win 7 and put on XP Pro?

Find someone with a laptop that has Windows XP Pro on it and give that person your Laptop and $50
and you would be ahead of the game.

From: DL on
I suppose when you buy a new car & don't like it you would then trade that
in for a 10 year old car?