From: Bruce Chambers on
Dennis wrote:
> I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont like it. when I put
> in the XP disc it said compatibility issues. What do I need to do to get rid
> of Win 7 and put on XP Pro?

There could be a couple possible adverse repercussions of which you
should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer model in
question was designed specifically for Windows 7, there may well be no
WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's diverse
components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer about the
availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an OEM-installed
operating system and replacing it with another will almost invariably
void any and all support agreements and, sometimes in rare cases, even
the warranty. You would, at the very least, have to re-install Windows 7
before getting any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the
computer's manufacturer for specifics.

How to uninstall Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971762

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: SC Tom on

"Richard in AZ" <me(a)mailinator.com> wrote in message

> "Dennis" <Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont like it. when I
>>put
>> in the XP disc it said compatibility issues. What do I need to do to get
>> rid
>> of Win 7 and put on XP Pro?
>
> Find someone with a laptop that has Windows XP Pro on it and give that
> person your Laptop and $50 and you would be ahead of the game.

Best solution yet!!
--
SC Tom

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed
any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
Lt. Col. J.D. "Jeff" Cooper, USMC, Ret.

From: bj on

"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> Best solution yet!!
> --

I guess that if I ever pry my XP machines (one Home, one Pro) out of my
hands I will have no trouble finding them good home(s). Maybe I'll do that
instead of upgrading. :-)

Actually, I hated Vista so much I *did* give that machine to a non-profit &
got me a new "downgraded to XP" laptop. (I still have the unopened Vista
disks that came along with it!)
bj

From: Twayne on
In news:eqsfrft0KHA.3652(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
LVTravel <noone(a)none.com> typed:
> "Dennis" <Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont
>> like it. when I put
>> in the XP disc it said compatibility issues. What do I
>> need to do to get rid
>> of Win 7 and put on XP Pro?
>
> You may not be able to. First have you gone to the
> manufacturer's web site and downloaded all the XP drivers
> for your computer model, including but not limited to:
> motherboard, audio, video and network? If not do so before
> trying to install XP. Can't find the drivers. Try the
> component manufacturer's web site. Still can't find, you
> can't install XP on the computer.

Mobo drivers for sure, along with anything else needed for the
chipset. But if the audio video and network are cards, then
the drivers are already present if they're needed. Plus XP
probably has drivers that would work until getting around to
the other installs.

> 2nd. You will need to boot from the Windows XP disk and
> remove the partition that Windows 7 is installed onto and
> then repartition, format and install XP.

Well, a multi-boot is often possible. But one does want to
start right from scratch, deleting and recreating the
partitions. XP will allow you to do up to 4 IIRC, which should
be fine.

A newer computer
> will have a SATA drive interface and XP does not.

XP certainly does, since SP2, have the fixin's for SATA. My
nearly ten year old Gateway in fact had the controller and
connectors for 2 sata drives. No muss, no fuss; indicate which
one you want to be the boot drive, and go. The only downside I
came across was that I had to assign my own drive letters;
they weren't automatically assigned. But it's a simple job
with Drive Management, which is native to XP.

> Therefore you either need to have the XP SATA drivers on a
> floppy disk and press F6 during the boot process or turn
> the SATA controller to it's "IDE" mode in the computer's
> bios to be able to install XP on the computer.

I missed that. Where did the need for IDE mode come up? I
didn't see it mentioned and it's not an issue.

You have to
> totally strip the boot partition on the hard drive to
> "downgrade" and then install XP from scratch.

"Strip the hard drive" and installing XP from scratch
INCLUDES, and starts with, the deletion and re-creation of
partitions if you wish to do so. TAkes only seconds to do the
partition work, and then wait for the formats to be done. No
problem at all.

> 3rd. If this is an OEM disk that you have from another
> computer by licensing rules you would not be permitted to
> install the operating system on any other computer than the
> first it was installed onto.

The disks have nothing to do with anything. As long as you
have the same version disk, ANY disk can be used. What
matters is the COA code - THAT is what's registered and kept
track of at MS. You can borrow any like OS disk to get things
going as long as you use your own key. They know the computer
by its contents and no other way.

If retail it can't be
> currently installed onto any other computer.

A retail OS disk can be moved to any other computer you wish
to use it on. It's what distunguishes OEM from Retail, in
fact. It does not however have anything to do with the fact
that you cannot install the OS in more than one instance on
more than one computer, including with Virtual machines.
That's true no matter what and always has been.

If a branded
> disk (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) it is an OEM and it is also
> probably bios locked to the original computer it was
> installed onto.

Actually, not necessarily, but it's becoming more common.
That's negligible compared to the problem of activation with
the correct COA. It doesn't care; if it's even the same
computer but too many things have been changed, you might have
some hoops to jump thru to get it activated. The algorithm
they use is rather complex and AFAIK anyway, still unknown in
public.

Please, get your facts right before posting things such as
this. You may have meant well, but there were a lot of
misleading things in your post.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Twayne on
In news:e8ahs7t0KHA.4168(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Richard in AZ <me(a)mailinator.com> typed:
> "Dennis" <Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I recently bought a laptop it has Windows 7 on it I dont
>> like it. when I put in the XP disc it said compatibility
>> issues. What do I need to do to get rid of Win 7 and put
>> on XP Pro?
>
> Find someone with a laptop that has Windows XP Pro on it
> and give that person your Laptop and $50 and you would be
> ahead of the game.

That would work fine as long as it was activated with his own
key code from his own XP. If not, it will fail to be activated
though. And the keycode has to be for a like OS; Home or Pro -
one is not usable for the other in any way.

HTH,

Twayne`