From: Jean-Christophe Delaye on
Ralf Hornik Mailings wrote:
> Jean-Jacques Moulis <jj(a)isy.liu.se> wrote:
>
>> We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
>> this give us freedom in naming convention
>> they still can be applied (manuallly) to
>
> Sure? On 3.4.2, when I try to apply this patches only dirent-fix.patch
> is applicable. The other two are being rejected.
>
> Ralf

Hi,

I did it.
I have to substitute uppercase BOOL with lowercase bool in these 3 patch
files.

Jean-Christophe.

File to patch: source3/modules/vfs_shadow_copy.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at line 0 (offset 1 line)
Hunk #2 succeeded at line 49 (offset 1 line)
Hunk #3 succeeded at line -25 (offset 1 line)
Hunk #4 succeeded at line 167 (offset 1 line)
Hunk #5 succeeded at line 223 (offset 1 line)
Hunk #6 succeeded at line 240 (offset 1 line)
Hunk #7 succeeded at line 251 (offset 1 line)
Hunk #8 succeeded at line 262 (offset 1 line)
I can't seem to find a patch in there anywhere.

Jean-Christophe Delaye <Jean-Christophe.Delaye(a)eurecom.fr> wrote:

>>> We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
>>> this give us freedom in naming convention
>>> they still can be applied (manuallly) to
>>
>> Sure? On 3.4.2, when I try to apply this patches only
>> dirent-fix.patch is applicable. The other two are being rejected.

> I did it.
> I have to substitute uppercase BOOL with lowercase bool in these 3
> patch files.

Yes, now it works for me too.
Thanks :-)

Ralf

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of proper threading, but I wasn't subscribed to the
list at the time.

On Nov 26, 2009, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > > Hmmm - these patches look really interesting ! I wonder
> > > how they didn't get added into mainline source code....
> >
> > Maybe because nobody wants to touch the shadow_copy module?
> > shadow_copy2 is the one that has seen fixes lately, I have
> > some patches for shadow_copy2 that are still pending to be
> > merged upstream.

What patches are currently pending? Do any of them eliminate the need
for some of the ZFS patches?

> Ah ok, didn't realize the difference between the two.
> Maybe we should remove the vfs_shadow_copy and concentrate
> everything on vfs_shadow_copy2 (and look at merging these
> patches).

Has anyone else started merging these patches to the shadow_copy2
module? If not, I'll get started with it.

Ed Plese
Hi,

Ed Plese <ed(a)edplese.com> wrote:

> What patches are currently pending? Do any of them eliminate the need
> for some of the ZFS patches?

Obviously none. The patches from
http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html do actually work with some
modifications. But with 3.5 after compiling well the module doesn't
work at all, and breaks folder sharing:

[2009/12/01 14:14:55.967820, 0] smbd/service.c:1009(make_connection_snum)
'/data/daten' is not a directory, when connecting to [Daten]

> Has anyone else started merging these patches to the shadow_copy2
> module? If not, I'll get started with it.

Is there any documentation about this modules (resp. shadow_copy2) ? I
need some hints how to configure e.g. the location of the snapdir,
format, ...
Regards

Ralf

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Ralf Hornik Mailings
<ralf(a)best.homeunix.org> wrote:
> Ed Plese <ed(a)edplese.com> wrote:
>> What patches are currently pending?  Do any of them eliminate the need
>> for some of the ZFS patches?
>
> Obviously none. The patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
> do actually work with some modifications. But with 3.5 after compiling well
> the module doesn't work at all, and breaks folder sharing:
>
> [2009/12/01 14:14:55.967820,  0] smbd/service.c:1009(make_connection_snum)
>  '/data/daten' is not a directory, when connecting to [Daten]
>
>> Has anyone else started merging these patches to the shadow_copy2
>> module?  If not, I'll get started with it.
>
> Is there any documentation about this modules (resp. shadow_copy2) ? I need
> some hints how to configure e.g. the location of the snapdir, format, ...
> Regards

Yesterday, I posted a patch to the samba-technical list that works
with the shadow_copy2 module in Samba 3.4.3. It's also available
here:

http://www.edplese.com/blog/2009/12/02/samba-shadow_copy2-enhancements/

Ed Plese