From: Jean-Jacques Moulis on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:35:49 +0100 Jean-Christophe Delaye <Jean-Christophe.Delaye(a)eurecom.fr> wrote:

JCD> Hi,
JCD> I'm trying to make samba working with Solaris ZFS Snaphots.

JCD> Solaris 10 is running on a x64/X86 box which is both Samba (3.4.2)
JCD> server and Zfs server.
JCD> I created home/delaye filesystem with home zfs pool.
JCD> Can anyone help to troubleshoot this? Does anybody have a running setup
JCD> for Solaris zfs snapshots ?

We are extensively using ZFS snapshots with samba, it works like a charm.

We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
this give us freedom in naming convention
they still can be applied (manuallly) to samba-3.4.x/source3/modules/vfs_shadow_copy.c

[homes]
comment = Home directories
browseable = no
public = no
read only = no
inherit permissions = yes
delete readonly = yes
map archive = no
map readonly = no
# vfsobject = shadow_copy, zfsacl
vfsobject = shadow_copy
shadow_copy: sort = desc
shadow_copy: path = .zfs/snapshot
shadow_copy: format = $Y-$m-$d
hide files = /?esktop.ini/*utloo*.lnk/*Briefcase*/*RECYCLE*/

--
Jean-Jacques Moulis Tel: (013) 281684
ISY Fax: (013) 139282
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:05:07AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > JCD> Hi,
> > JCD> I'm trying to make samba working with Solaris ZFS Snaphots.
> >
> > JCD> Solaris 10 is running on a x64/X86 box which is both Samba (3.4.2)
> > JCD> server and Zfs server.
> > JCD> I created home/delaye filesystem with home zfs pool.
> > JCD> Can anyone help to troubleshoot this? Does anybody have a running setup
> > JCD> for Solaris zfs snapshots ?
> >
> > We are extensively using ZFS snapshots with samba, it works like a charm.
> >
> > We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
> > this give us freedom in naming convention
> > they still can be applied (manuallly) to samba-3.4.x/source3/modules/vfs_shadow_copy.c
>
> Hmmm - these patches look really interesting ! I wonder
> how they didn't get added into mainline source code....

Maybe because nobody wants to touch the shadow_copy module?
shadow_copy2 is the one that has seen fixes lately, I have
some patches for shadow_copy2 that are still pending to be
merged upstream.

Volker
From: Jeremy Allison on
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 04:55:55PM +0100, Jean-Jacques Moulis wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:35:49 +0100 Jean-Christophe Delaye <Jean-Christophe.Delaye(a)eurecom.fr> wrote:
>
> JCD> Hi,
> JCD> I'm trying to make samba working with Solaris ZFS Snaphots.
>
> JCD> Solaris 10 is running on a x64/X86 box which is both Samba (3.4.2)
> JCD> server and Zfs server.
> JCD> I created home/delaye filesystem with home zfs pool.
> JCD> Can anyone help to troubleshoot this? Does anybody have a running setup
> JCD> for Solaris zfs snapshots ?
>
> We are extensively using ZFS snapshots with samba, it works like a charm.
>
> We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
> this give us freedom in naming convention
> they still can be applied (manuallly) to samba-3.4.x/source3/modules/vfs_shadow_copy.c

Hmmm - these patches look really interesting ! I wonder
how they didn't get added into mainline source code....

Jeremy.
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 08:09:16PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> > > We are extensively using ZFS snapshots with samba, it works like a charm.
> > >
> > > We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
> > > this give us freedom in naming convention
> > > they still can be applied (manuallly) to samba-3.4.x/source3/modules/vfs_shadow_copy.c
> >
> > Hmmm - these patches look really interesting ! I wonder
> > how they didn't get added into mainline source code....
>
> Maybe because nobody wants to touch the shadow_copy module?
> shadow_copy2 is the one that has seen fixes lately, I have
> some patches for shadow_copy2 that are still pending to be
> merged upstream.

Ah ok, didn't realize the difference between the two.
Maybe we should remove the vfs_shadow_copy and concentrate
everything on vfs_shadow_copy2 (and look at merging these
patches).

Jeremy.
Jean-Jacques Moulis <jj(a)isy.liu.se> wrote:

> We use the patches from http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
> this give us freedom in naming convention
> they still can be applied (manuallly) to

Sure? On 3.4.2, when I try to apply this patches only dirent-fix.patch
is applicable. The other two are being rejected.

Ralf