From: Robert LeBlanc on
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Ed Plese <ed(a)edplese.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Ralf Hornik Mailings
> <ralf(a)best.homeunix.org> wrote:
> > Ed Plese <ed(a)edplese.com> wrote:
> >> What patches are currently pending? Do any of them eliminate the need
> >> for some of the ZFS patches?
> >
> > Obviously none. The patches from
> http://www.edplese.com/samba-with-zfs.html
> > do actually work with some modifications. But with 3.5 after compiling
> well
> > the module doesn't work at all, and breaks folder sharing:
> >
> > [2009/12/01 14:14:55.967820, 0]
> smbd/service.c:1009(make_connection_snum)
> > '/data/daten' is not a directory, when connecting to [Daten]
> >
> >> Has anyone else started merging these patches to the shadow_copy2
> >> module? If not, I'll get started with it.
> >
> > Is there any documentation about this modules (resp. shadow_copy2) ? I
> need
> > some hints how to configure e.g. the location of the snapdir, format, ...
> > Regards
>
> Yesterday, I posted a patch to the samba-technical list that works
> with the shadow_copy2 module in Samba 3.4.3. It's also available
> here:
>
> http://www.edplese.com/blog/2009/12/02/samba-shadow_copy2-enhancements/

Although we are not using ZFS, I'm excited about a couple of the extensions
in this patch. Thanks for the work!

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University
Robert LeBlanc <robert(a)leblancnet.us> wrote

> Although we are not using ZFS, I'm excited about a couple of the extensions
> in this patch. Thanks for the work!

After successfully testing with Windows XP, I encountered a problem
with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I can not see any Snapshots in the explorer and the samba log tells me:

[2009/12/08 11:00:38, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:1969(call_nt_transact_ioctl)
FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_COPY_DATA: max_data_count(214) too small (218)
bytes needed!

Best Regards

Ralf

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 12:16:01PM +0100, Ralf Hornik Mailings wrote:
> Robert LeBlanc <robert(a)leblancnet.us> wrote
>
>> Although we are not using ZFS, I'm excited about a couple of the extensions
>> in this patch. Thanks for the work!
>
> After successfully testing with Windows XP, I encountered a problem with
> Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
> I can not see any Snapshots in the explorer and the samba log tells me:
>
> [2009/12/08 11:00:38, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:1969(call_nt_transact_ioctl)
> FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_COPY_DATA: max_data_count(214) too small (218) bytes
> needed!

Can you please try 3.4.3? If that's not possible, you might
want to apply the patch

https://bugzilla.samba.org/attachment.cgi?id=4894&action=view

Volker
From: Ralf Hornik Mailings on
Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke(a)SerNet.DE> wrote:

> Can you please try 3.4.3? If that's not possible, you might
> want to apply the patch
>
> https://bugzilla.samba.org/attachment.cgi?id=4894&action=view

Sorry, I didn't notice the subject line. I tested it with 3.4.3. Now,
with your patch supplied (to 3.4.3) it works.

BTW, with 3.5pre1 and windows 7 I can see the shadow copies, but on
top of the share I see the snapshot name insteed of the sharename:

http://www.ralf-hornik.de/pub/shadow_client_s35_w7.jpg

:-)

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Ralf Hornik Mailings <ralf(a)best.homeunix.org
> wrote:

> Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke(a)SerNet.DE> wrote:
>
> Can you please try 3.4.3? If that's not possible, you might
>> want to apply the patch
>>
>> https://bugzilla.samba.org/attachment.cgi?id=4894&action=view
>>

> Sorry, I didn't notice the subject line. I tested it with 3.4.3. Now, with
> your patch supplied (to 3.4.3) it works.
>
> BTW, with 3.5pre1 and windows 7 I can see the shadow copies, but on top of
> the share I see the snapshot name insteed of the sharename:
>
> http://www.ralf-hornik.de/pub/shadow_client_s35_w7.jpg
>
> :-)
>
> We aren't using Windows 7 yet, and Volker said that the patch is already in
3.5, so I think we are going to hold off until 3.5 is released. Thanks for
doing some early testing for us! :)