From: Jeremy Allison on
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 06:14:06PM +0200, Marten Gajda wrote:
> I still can't get it to work :-( .
> As I guessed earlier it seems Samba is not advertising the
> streams-feature. Using the Sysinternals Process Monitor I can see that
> on my samba share "Named Streams" is not listed among the
> FileSystemAttributes, whereas it is on a Windows XP share. I guess this
> is the feature I need. Its absence might be the reason why windows
> doesn't try to access some streams (it doesn't explain why it actually
> tries to read some streams though).
> Is there any way to enable this (preferably without hacking the samba
> sources)
> Any hints are welcome.

Do you have "vfs objects = streams_xattr" or "vfs objects = streams_depot"
set on the share ? You'll need this to map named streams to filesystem
objects on a POSIX system.

Jeremy.
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 06:14:06PM +0200, Marten Gajda wrote:
> I still can't get it to work :-( .
> As I guessed earlier it seems Samba is not advertising the
> streams-feature. Using the Sysinternals Process Monitor I can see that
> on my samba share "Named Streams" is not listed among the
> FileSystemAttributes, whereas it is on a Windows XP share. I guess this
> is the feature I need. Its absence might be the reason why windows
> doesn't try to access some streams (it doesn't explain why it actually
> tries to read some streams though).
> Is there any way to enable this (preferably without hacking the samba
> sources)
> Any hints are welcome.

Try

share:fake_fscaps = 262144

Volker
Am 17.05.2010 18:18, schrieb John Drescher:
> I thought that the streams do not work without the streams_xattr
> module. Did you set that up on your samba server?

I don't have any vfs module enabled. So at least some streams do work
without streams_xattr. As I already mentioned the :Zone-Identifier
stream is working to a certain degree.
If I store a file (with Firefox) on the share this stream is created and
the explorer property sheet evaluates its content and tells me the file
is from the internet (I can "unlock" the file too).
It also works if I manually fakes the file's origin. But on the other
hand, this stream is not created when I copy a file from another NTFS drive.
As there is no use for xattrs in my file system I'd like to get this
stuff working without them.

Marten
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:42:44PM +0200, Marten Gajda wrote:
> Am 17.05.2010 18:18, schrieb John Drescher:
> > I thought that the streams do not work without the streams_xattr
> > module. Did you set that up on your samba server?
> >

> I don't have any vfs module enabled. So at least some streams do work
> without streams_xattr. As I already mentioned the :Zone-Identifier
> stream is working to a certain degree.

Not correctly, and I don't see how to be honest.

> If I store a file (with Firefox) on the share this stream is created and
> the explorer property sheet evaluates its content and tells me the file
> is from the internet (I can "unlock" the file too).
> It also works if I manually fakes the file's origin. But on the other
> hand, this stream is not created when I copy a file from another NTFS drive.
> As there is no use for xattrs in my file system I'd like to get this
> stuff working without them.

Can't be done. You need to have either the streams_xattr
module or streams_depot module enabled to get streams
support. Where do you think the stream data will get stored on
the filesysytem if you don't enable either of these ?

Jeremy.
Am 17.05.2010 18:56, schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> Do you have "vfs objects = streams_xattr" or "vfs objects = streams_depot"
> set on the share ? You'll need this to map named streams to filesystem
> objects on a POSIX system.

I didn't enable any of them. That's why I'm wondering that some streams
actually do work for me. The way streams are currently handled (just
like regular files) is quite sufficient for me. Its just that samba does
not advertise this feature.
I didn't know about the streams_depot so far. Is there any documentation
about the stream naming scheme within the depot directory?

Marten