From: Michael Sitler Michael on
We have six terminal servers experiencing this exact same issue. The issue
usually occurs once or twice a week on one or two terminal servers each week.
When the issue occurs on one server, no one can logon to any server in the
entire cluster. The only way to correct the issue is to reboot the problem
server.

Since we do not use Citrix, we manage our users through the Microsoft
“Terminal Server Manager” snap-in on a management server. When this issue
occurs on the problem server, the snap-in stops responding on our management
server. This means we cannot determine who was on that server, send them a
message, or interact with them in any manner. We simply determine which
server is the culprit by attempting to logon to each server in the cluster
locally until we find the server that sits on “Applying user settings”.

Once we reboot this server, which kills all of the users logged onto that
server, the snap-in begins responding and all users can logon to the cluster
again.

Our environment is as follows:

Windows Server 2008 SP2 – (32 bit) [Completely Patched and Up-To-Date]
Office XP SP3
VMware vSphere (4.0)

I am astounded by the fact that Microsoft is taking this long to resolve an
issue of this magnitude. I am also shocked that the only resolution thus far
is to restart the server.

Please keep me informed of any updates on this issue. I will soon be opening
a ticket with Microsoft myself and will keep everyone informed if we make any
progress.

- Mike Sitler
From: bugfixr on
We have six terminal servers running Server 2008 OS. All of them hang at
least once a week, sometimes more often. We have installed several patches
but the ones that have seemd to help the most are the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980568

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976674

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956438

We have gone one week without any hangs and performance has improved
considerably. Hope this helps someone else.

From: Evanamar on
Check the binding on your network adapters.

From: Freshwreckage on
I will install these today as I have been vexxed by this issue as well and MS
has been ZERO help.
And yes... we have done all of the network binding playtime to no avail.

Has anyone else had success with this issue using these hotfixes?