From: RichA on
I haven't seen this issue yet. Probably take a month to get to
Canada.

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804

From: Bruce on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:13:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>I haven't seen this issue yet. Probably take a month to get to
>Canada.
>
>http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804

Geoffrey Crawley's reviews in "Amateur Photographer" are generally
meticulous and his "old school" conclusions are reliable as long as
you know how to read between the lines.

I'm delighted with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4, even after a lot of use.
However, not everyone is as happy as I am. There seems to be some
production variation.

So the usual advice applies. But one from a seller with a robust
returns policy, and test, test, test it until you are happy that you
got a good one. If not, return it for a replacement.

It is worth the effort because a good sample represents truly
exceptional value for money. I bought mine for >30% less than the
price in the AP Review. I could have bought four of these lenses for
the price of an AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D or a Carl Zeiss ZF Planar T*
85mm F/1.4!

I confess to keeping an AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D as a spare but the
Samyang is my first choice because of its outstanding optics and
superbly smooth focusing action. I always focus manually, and the
feel of the Nikkor's focusing ring leaves a lot to be desired, but the
handling of the Samyang cannot be faulted.

I haven't read the AP review yet (the magazine is sent to subscribers
three days before it is generally available) but would be interested
to see a comparison of the anti-reflection coatings of the Samyang and
Nikkor designs. In my experience the Samyang displays exceptional
resistance to flare for an 85mm f/1.4 and actually beats the Nikkor.

My only complaint is that the included plastic lens hood is flimsy and
doesn't locate positively enough on its bayonet. It is also far too
"wide" so I use a screw-in metal hood which gives accurate shading.

This issue of "Amateur Photographer" hits UK bookstores next Tuesday,
June 22. It should be available on US bookstands June 26. I believe
that most/all Barnes and Noble stores sell the magazine.

From: Neil Harrington on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I haven't seen this issue yet. Probably take a month to get to
> Canada.
>
> http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804

That seems to be the same as the Vivitar 85/1.4, which has been around for
at least a year or two. Last time I saw it advertised it was about $350 as I
recall. Interesting looking lens if you don't mind manual operation.

From: Bruce on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:59:16 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
<nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I haven't seen this issue yet. Probably take a month to get to
>> Canada.
>>
>> http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804
>
>That seems to be the same as the Vivitar 85/1.4, which has been around for
>at least a year or two. Last time I saw it advertised it was about $350 as I
>recall. Interesting looking lens if you don't mind manual operation.

It is available under quite a few brands including Vivitar, Soligor,
Rokinon and of course that of its manufacturer, Samyang.

It's a super lens. The manual focus action is very smooth. You
really shouldn't be using AF on an 85mm f/1.4 anyway.

From: Rich on
On Jun 20, 4:38 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:13:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I haven't seen this issue yet.  Probably take a month to get to
> >Canada.
>
> >http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804
>
> Geoffrey Crawley's reviews in "Amateur Photographer" are generally
> meticulous and his "old school" conclusions are reliable as long as
> you know how to read between the lines.
>
> I'm delighted with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4, even after a lot of use.
> However, not everyone is as happy as I am.  There seems to be some
> production variation.

Be a good idea for reviewers to order three of them and average out
the test then.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: April photos on "Lumières d'Opale"
Next: Where is