From: Gordon Henderson on
I've a couple of remote boxes running Debian Sarge that I've decided to
upgrade.. I've not had any real issues in the when upgrading servers in
the past using dist-upgrade, but I've never done 2 release upgrades in
one step before - anyone now if it's a good thing, or bad thing?

Cheers,

Gordon
From: Mark Hobley on
Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:
> I've a couple of remote boxes running Debian Sarge that I've decided to
> upgrade.. I've not had any real issues in the when upgrading servers in
> the past using dist-upgrade, but I've never done 2 release upgrades in
> one step before - anyone now if it's a good thing, or bad thing?

You can hop straight to Lenny. However, Lenny is still in testing, and
contains some bad bugs. I would not upgrade a server to Lenny at this
time.

I would delay the upgrade until Lenny goes live, or if you desperately
need to upgrade now, upgrade to Etch.

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote in message
> I've a couple of remote boxes running Debian Sarge that I've decided to
> upgrade.. I've not had any real issues in the when upgrading servers in
> the past using dist-upgrade, but I've never done 2 release upgrades in
> one step before - anyone now if it's a good thing, or bad thing?

I haven't done two release upgrades in one step before either but I have
done sarge -> etch without any problems. If the remote boxes are not
desktops and you don't need the latest packages I'd stick with moving to
etch if only because etch gets security updates before lenny.

--
Geoff

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <cnif06-ail.ln1(a)neptune.markhobley.yi.org>,
Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:
>> I've a couple of remote boxes running Debian Sarge that I've decided to
>> upgrade.. I've not had any real issues in the when upgrading servers in
>> the past using dist-upgrade, but I've never done 2 release upgrades in
>> one step before - anyone now if it's a good thing, or bad thing?
>
>You can hop straight to Lenny. However, Lenny is still in testing, and
>contains some bad bugs. I would not upgrade a server to Lenny at this
>time.
>
>I would delay the upgrade until Lenny goes live, or if you desperately
>need to upgrade now, upgrade to Etch.

Sure - Was just curious if a 2-hop would work and I'm not in a hurry -
Just trying to shake off my "luddite" views that I've been criticised
about here in the past :)

(Yes, I still have a server running woody...)

I've got my desktop and Laptop running Lenny - quite impressed so-far.

Gordon
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Gordon Henderson may or may not have written...

> I've a couple of remote boxes running Debian Sarge that I've decided to
> upgrade.. I've not had any real issues in the when upgrading servers in the
> past using dist-upgrade, but I've never done 2 release upgrades in one step
> before - anyone now if it's a good thing, or bad thing?

I think that you should upgrade to etch for now – you should do so anyway for
security support reasons – and worry about lenny once it's been released, at
which point you have a year before etch security support is stopped.

| <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

Pets just die on you. Where's the fun in that?