From: zed on
This isn't really a Linux questions but contributors to this group are
always helpful, so I'll take my chance that it is acceptable.

I have a friend who still uses WindowsXP but I've weaned him away from
Outlook Express to Thunderbird. When trying to send mail the following
messages is generated.

Alert! An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded
<"harolde(a)orcon.net,.nz>: malformed address: ,.nz> may not follow <hariolde@
orcon.net. Please verify your email address is correct in your Mail
preferences and try again. Notice the comma (,) after the word net.

I have checked his account settings and there is no comma (,) in the address
but looking at the address headers of the mail to be sent the comma (,) is
present.

My questions are:

Where do I look in Thunderbird for mail preferences and, hopefully, find the
entry which has the comma (,)?

Regards from New Zealand on a very warm and humid Wednesday afternoon.
--
zed
From: Peter on
On 03/12/08 00:48 zed wrote:

[snipped]

> My questions are:
>
> Where do I look in Thunderbird for mail preferences and, hopefully, find the
> entry which has the comma (,)?

Can't be sure but try the Config Editor which is accessed from the top
menu:-

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General Tab > Config Editor

You can put the comma dot nz in the filter line.

HTH

Regards from a very cold and dark east Devon, UK!

Peter
From: Big and Blue on
zed wrote:

> Alert! An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded
> <"harolde(a)orcon.net,.nz>: malformed address: ,.nz> may not follow <hariolde@
> orcon.net. Please verify your email address is correct in your Mail
> preferences and try again. Notice the comma (,) after the word net.
>
> Where do I look in Thunderbird for mail preferences and, hopefully, find the
> entry which has the comma (,)?

The mail would be sent from the name listed under the Properties entries
if you right-clink on the relevant mail account name in the Account list.

It actually looks as if this is two accounts - the first
"harolde(a)orcon.net" and the second ".nz", hence the comma between them,
so check that you haven't, somehow, got 2 in there. Perhaps an
unintentional space?

either you or I have to believe it.
From: Nigel Wade on
zed wrote:

> This isn't really a Linux questions but contributors to this group are
> always helpful, so I'll take my chance that it is acceptable.
>
> I have a friend who still uses WindowsXP but I've weaned him away from
> Outlook Express to Thunderbird. When trying to send mail the following
> messages is generated.
>
> Alert! An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded
> <"harolde(a)orcon.net,.nz>: malformed address: ,.nz> may not follow <hariolde@
> orcon.net. Please verify your email address is correct in your Mail
> preferences and try again. Notice the comma (,) after the word net.
>
> I have checked his account settings and there is no comma (,) in the address
> but looking at the address headers of the mail to be sent the comma (,) is
> present.

What appears in the From: entry in the composer window? This should be what is
sent as the envelope sender and also what is entered into the From: field in
the messages headers. I don't think Thunderbird allows you to use a different
From: and sender.

Do you know that it is the sender which the mail server is complaining about?
Might it be a recipient which is malformed?

> My questions are:
>
> Where do I look in Thunderbird for mail preferences and, hopefully, find the
> entry which has the comma (,)?

The mail preferences are the Account Settings. You can view all the Thunderbird
settings in the Options dialog (Tools menu, Options... item). Then select the
Config Editor. However, this shows you every item unless you know the property
you want to look at. The filter doesn't filter on value, only property name.

About the only sensible way find it is to look at the prefs.js file in a text
editor. However, this isn't exactly easy to locate in Windows due to the
stupidity of Windows. The file is stored in a hidden directory (or more
correctly a hidden sub-directory of a hidden directory) so normal navigation
and searching won't find it. First you have to modify Folder Properties to show
hidden files and folders. Then you can search for the file. It should be in
Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\randomrubbish.profile.

--
Nigel Wade