From: Goran on
On Feb 8, 11:29 pm, "Giovanni Dicanio"
<giovanniDOTdica...(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:
> For example, OpenOffice (an open-source kind of clone of Office 2003)

Hey, that's not fair, the thing existed long before 2003 ;-).

Goran.
From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"Goran" <goran.pusic(a)gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> For example, OpenOffice (an open-source kind of clone of Office 2003)
>
> Hey, that's not fair, the thing existed long before 2003 ;-).

:)

I meant: the GUI of OpenOffice is similar to the Office 2003's one and not
to the new one of Office 2007.

Giovanni

From: Christian Freund on
We use pdflib too and it is really good. I think the price is fair and there
is also a "pdflib-lite"-version with slightly reduced functionality when you
create open-source-software.

"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Feb 8, 1:17 pm, "David Webber" <d...(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:
> Do there exist routines to save a document as a PDF file?
>
> I know there are pseudo-printers around which you can install so that when
> you 'print' to it it produces a PDF file, but I had in mind library code
> that would give you a CDC or hDC, let you draw on it, and then deposit the
> result in a PDF file. Does such exist?
>
> Dave
> --
> David Webber
> Mozart Music Softwarehttp://www.mozart.co.uk
> For discussion and support

MFC doesnt have anything builtin for this. I have heard of people
using pdflib but its not free:

http://www.pdflib.com/en/products/pdflib-family/pdflib/

--
Ajay

From: David Webber on
"Christian Freund" <freund(a)wrz.de> wrote in message

> We use pdflib too and it is really good. I think the price is fair and
> there is also a "pdflib-lite"-version with slightly reduced functionality
> when you create open-source-software.

What I'm looking for is a library I can build into software I'm selling (ie
it's not open source), so that anyone using my software can save his work as
a PDF file. I don't mind paying for it, but I'd be put off if royalties
were involved.

Given the recommendation here, I have contacted the pdflib people to get the
licensing terms learn in my mind. Thanks Everyone.

Wenn noetig kann ich es auch auf Deutsch benutzen :-)

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

From: David Webber on

"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I also came across this one: http://www.novapdf.com/
>
> I have no idea how good it is (trial is free) but its considerably
> cheaper ($50) than pdflib. Worth a look.

This looks like one of the ones the user installs as a "printer" so that any
application can "print" to this "printer" to create a PDF file.

I've used a similar one - pdfFactoryPro - which is also very good. But in
either case, each user of my software would have to buy and install the
product to enable them to save PDF files with my software (and lots of other
programs). Now that Microsoft Word can just "Save as PDF" with no 3rd
party software, the temptation for people to buy such a program is less, and
I am starting to think that a "Save As PDF" on my own menu - with all
components integrated with the program (well maybe a DLL installed with it)
would be a good idea. OK this would only work from my program, but then I
wouldn't add $50 to the price :-)

I don't want to have to learn all there is to know about PDF format - but a
suitably priced library which I could link (statically of dynamically) with
my software would be ideal.

Dave