From: Mike Williams on
"mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message

> fwiw a few tests finally started saving size and
> location if i resized form, just not if i moved it
> by dragging...think i'll start a new thread for that

I thought you already did? By the way, for that purpose you need to save the
size and position only once, as the Form closes, and not repeatedly as the
Form is resized or moved (unless of course you want to save the position
even if the whole machine suddenly goes belly up, which would be a bit of
overkill!).

Also, when you write your code to initialise your Form's startup position to
the position it held last time the user closed it then make certain you
ensure that the Form is going to actually be visible on the display at the
saved settings, and position it somewhere else if it would not be, as might
be the case if the logical size of the user's screen is smaller than it was
last time the Form was closed.

Mike

From: GS on
After serious thinking Larry Serflaten wrote :
> "GS" <gesansom(a)netscape.net> wrote
>> Hi Larry,
>> I think the simplicity the OP is talking about is that the UDT values
>> are read into the UDT OR written from the UDT is a single process. I
>> believe what Mark find perplexing is the additional complexity that
>> bringing an array into the process causes. Basically, the array has to
>> be looped to put the values into the UDT, AND the UDT has to be llooped
>> (somehow) to put the values into the array. It sounds to me like he
>> doesn't want to do that.
>
> The class method doesn't use a UDT, the values are kept in the array.
> see my first post from 6/20/2010. Plus, the message you responded to
> here shows that he can access the disk in one line of code.
>
> The way I see it, his objection is about restraining from using variants
> and their evil type conversion problems. But the Variant is a versatile
> tool in the tool box if you realize what your getting into.
>
> Take, for example, VB's own Collection. In order for the collection
> to accept any kind of variable it has to be a collection of Variants
> (or similar). So again, when used appropreately, the Variant can be
> put to good use. I have to wonder if the OP has objections to using
> Collections for the same reason?
>
> LFS

Ok, I see the difference now. It appeared to me the OP was intent on
using the class method to handle the UDTs. I understand using just an
array alone because I also use that method quite often for small
amounts of data. It works really well with variants, as you say,
because they're used appropriately in this case and so no ETC to worry
about. I don't do it that way. I convert values to the type I require
since the value type is known at design time. This is just a
precautionary measure on my part to avoid ETC when using variants,
generally speaking. The idea of using a class never occured to me and
so I might look into that more as a result of this discussion.

Thanks!

--
Garry

From: mp on

"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote in message

> "mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message
>
>> fwiw a few tests finally started saving size and
>> location if i resized form, just not if i moved it
>> by dragging...think i'll start a new thread for that
>
> I thought you already did?

Oh, maybe i did last night, wasn't sure

By the way, for that purpose you need to save the
> size and position only once, as the Form closes, and not repeatedly as the
> Form is resized or moved (unless of course you want to save the position
> even if the whole machine suddenly goes belly up, which would be a bit of
> overkill!).
Originally i had it in form terminate. I got to thinking maybe it was not
working because in terminate the properties maybe were already unavailable
(seems if I call Me.Left in form terminate that it calls Form Load again)
how do i get around that without saving previous to terminate? queryunload?

> Also, when you write your code to initialise your Form's startup position
> to the position it held last time the user closed it then make certain you
> ensure that the Form is going to actually be visible on the display at the
> saved settings, and position it somewhere else if it would not be, as
> might be the case if the logical size of the user's screen is smaller than
> it was last time the Form was closed.
>
> Mike

oh no, more research <G>

From: Mike Williams on

> how do i get around that without saving previous
> to terminate? queryunload?

The Unload event is the best place for it.

Mike

From: mp on

> "mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message
>
>> how do i get around that without saving previous
>> to terminate? queryunload?
>
> The Unload event is the best place for it.
>
> Mike

finally figured that out. thanks' mark