From: mp on

"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message

> | there is nothing in this world i *fully* understand
>
> Aha. A wiseman has arrived on the scene. :)

LOL
:-)

From: Tony Toews on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:11:04 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:

> It turns out that a UDT can be read from/written
>to disk as a binary file. Despite the string values
>being pointers, VB will nevertheless write all data
>stored in the UDT in serial fashion!

Yowzer, that is an interesting idea.

Tony
From: Larry Serflaten on

"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote

> > It turns out that a UDT can be read from/written
> >to disk as a binary file. Despite the string values
> >being pointers, VB will nevertheless write all data
> >stored in the UDT in serial fashion!
>
> Yowzer, that is an interesting idea.

It been available for a while....
(post from 14 Mar 2001)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/msg/8ce436e561783c27?hl=en

<g>
LFS

From: Helmut Meukel on
"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote
>>
>> > It turns out that a UDT can be read from/written
>> >to disk as a binary file. Despite the string values
>> >being pointers, VB will nevertheless write all data
>> >stored in the UDT in serial fashion!
>>
>> Yowzer, that is an interesting idea.
>
> It been available for a while....
> (post from 14 Mar 2001)
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/msg/8ce436e561783c27?hl=en
>
> <g>
> LFS

When the UDT was first introduced - IIRC in Basic PDS 7.0 -
it could be used the same way as today with VB6 but it could
also used as ISAM table type. Thus you could get an ISAM
record directly into a UDT and vice versa.
And you could use an UDT that has only the columns of the
ISAM table in the UDT you really needed.

I was disappointed this ability was dropped with the ISAM
database. I missed it - and still miss it - when dealing with a Jet
(Access) database.

Helmut.

BTW, there was one restriction to UDTs in those days:
Strings in UDTs had to be fixed-length strings.

From: mp on

"Larry Serflaten" <serflaten(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote
>>
>> > It turns out that a UDT can be read from/written
>> >to disk as a binary file. Despite the string values
>> >being pointers, VB will nevertheless write all data
>> >stored in the UDT in serial fashion!
>>
>> Yowzer, that is an interesting idea.
>
> It been available for a while....
> (post from 14 Mar 2001)
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/msg/8ce436e561783c27?hl=en
>
> <g>
> LFS

a very nice technique Thanks.
What i'm struggling with now is how to put the function in a utility.bas
module so i can use in all projects, then call it from any form. so
different forms can declare their own settings type and send them to the
same function in the utility module to read and save.
If i declare the settings type Private in the form, I cant' pass it to a
public module.
If I declare it Public I get the error can't do public type in private
module.
i remember seeing discussions here, but since i wasn't using udts I didn't
pay attention
searching google now but if any one has the solution I"d appreciate it.
Thanks
Mark