From: 1Scan on
I've tried a variety of ways to scan Instamatic negs using one of our
Nikon scanners. I haven't found any method that really works for me,
thankfully they're easy to do on our Epson flatbeds. I can access
these via SilverFast and use Digital ICE so in most respects its as
good as scanning on a Nikon.

And much less frustrating.

Jeff Underwood

www.1Scan.co.uk
www.freephotoscanning.com

From: Nick on
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I also have an Epson 515 printer/
scanner but it has no negative/slide attachment so the software will
not accept negative scanning.

The FH-3 attachments are very hard to find these days. I might try
going down the mounting onto slide route.

From: Barry Watzman on
Apparently the FH-3 is discontinued.

Note that the FH-2 and FH-3 are interchangeable.

From: Nick on
Actually I have seen the FH-3 on an internet store somewhere and they
had in stock too. I was just about to press the button to order and
changed my mind. I just could'nt justify 30GBP and 6GBP postage. Total
rip-off. 6GBP postage within the UK for an item that weighs a few
grams.

Anyway I have been trying to cut one of the negatives and enclosing it
a slide mount to scan it as a negative slide. Its a messy process. The
first few that I have done look fairly good considering that the
photos were taken on an instamatic camera in the 70s. I think I might
just stick with this and save myself some money.

Results look good so far.

From: Nick on
Thanks for the help and suggestions. In the end I just cut the
negatives and placed them inside mounts from old negatives. Worked a
treat. I dont think I will ever need the negatives again, now that I
have the digital version.

Now the challenge - I have a few strips of really small negatives
(could be 110 size). I might take up your suggestion and make a
cardboard holder.