From: Art on
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:42:15 GMT, "TWIST" <TWIST(a)cable.net> wrote:

>I understood if you turn off system restore it will flush out any nasties!

System Restore is a form of backup. If you happen to know when you
took a malware hit, and you have a Restore point prior to that, then
you can use Restore to get rid of the malware.

The problem is that users usually have no idea of when they took a
malware hit, and their Restore points are often infested. That's why
flushing System Restore is usually suggested _after_ cleaning up the
malware.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

From: John Coutts on
In article <5frxf.76$77.9(a)newsfe3-win.ntli.net>, TWIST(a)cable.net says...

>Could someone please remind my why it is better to scan in
>safe mode? And also is it an advantage to turn of system restore
>temporarily?
>
>Thanx in advance.

**************** REPLY SEPARATER ********************
If malware is configured as a service (and many are), you will not be able to
remove it while it is running. When you start in safe mode, all the programs
that are configured to auto start from registry "run" do not auto start. This
allows them to be deleted safely.

System Restore is an extension of the old "Use the previous successful boot"
configuration" in NT and W2K. Unfortunately, it is a tremendous resourse hog,
and one of the first things that I disable on a new machine.

J.A. Coutts

From: Hoosier Daddy on

"TWIST" <TWIST(a)cable.net> wrote in message news:5frxf.76$77.9(a)newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
> Could someone please remind my why it is better to scan in
> safe mode?

It is best to scan from within a software environment where the malware
isn't running. Safe mode is a way to get you almost there. Better would
be to boot into an alternative OS that has the ability to read the contents
of the suspect storage areas while not running any code from those areas.

> And also is it an advantage to turn of system restore
> temporarily?

System restore is a non-issue. Flush it if you want to (it's probably
infested anyway) or don't. It can be used to restore to a last known
good point after some non-malware related screwup, but when there
is malware involved there is a good chance that restoring will restore
the malware too.

From: Poster 60 on

kurt wismer wrote:
> generally that's for when you're recovering from a
> virus/worm/whatever... turning off the virus restore - err *system*
> restore - is the means by which you remove any malware that may have
> crept into your restore points by removing the restore points
> themselves, as not only can they not be manipulated in a more
> sophisticated fashion they often can't even be scanned...

Even under controlled conditions of sending trojan files to an AV vendor
your restore points can become infected. That has happened to me
several times.
So, anytime I deal with them I always clear my restore points afterwards.