From: TWIST on
Could someone please remind my why it is better to scan in
safe mode? And also is it an advantage to turn of system restore
temporarily?

Thanx in advance.

From: Befunge Sudoku on
In article <5frxf.76$77.9(a)newsfe3-win.ntli.net>,
TWIST(a)cable.net says...
> Could someone please remind my why it is better to scan in
> safe mode?

.

,

'

find doesn't get loaded and so can't stealth itself or re-
install itself from memory every time you delete it.

And also is it an advantage to turn of system restore
> temporarily?

It'll speed up the scan as there'll be less to do. But turning
it off loses all restore points, and maybe you might need/want
one.
--
Even a biologist can do physics,
if you teach them to think about
From: TWIST on

"Befunge Sudoku" <daviddotbudd(a)manchester.ac.uk> wrote in message
> In article <5frxf.76$77.9(a)newsfe3-win.ntli.net>,
> TWIST(a)cable.net says...
>> Could someone please remind my why it is better to scan in
>> safe mode?
>
> Fewer items get loaded. Typically, the stuff you're trying to
> find doesn't get loaded and so can't stealth itself or re-
> install itself from memory every time you delete it.
>

> And also is it an advantage to turn of system restore
>> temporarily?
>
> It'll speed up the scan as there'll be less to do. But turning
> it off loses all restore points, and maybe you might need/want
> one.
I understood if you turn off system restore it will flush out any nasties!

From: Befunge Sudoku on
In article <H8sxf.80$77.8(a)newsfe3-win.ntli.net>,
TWIST(a)cable.net says...
> > And also is it an advantage to turn of system restore
> >> temporarily?
> >
> > It'll speed up the scan as there'll be less to do. But turning
> > it off loses all restore points, and maybe you might need/want
> > one.
> I understood if you turn off system restore it will flush out any nasties!

And everything else...
It'll get rid of anything bad in there, sure.
A full scan in Safe Mode should clean anything it finds in the
restore points anyway.

If you feel OK about throwing away all your restore points, why
did you ever have it switched on in the first place?

From: kurt wismer on
TWIST wrote:
> Could someone please remind my why it is better to scan in
> safe mode?

there's a good chance (no guarantees though) that the whatever malware
you *might* have won't be active in safe mode and therefore won't be
able to interfere with your scanner...

> And also is it an advantage to turn of system restore
> temporarily?

generally that's for when you're recovering from a
virus/worm/whatever... turning off the virus restore - err *system*
restore - is the means by which you remove any malware that may have
crept into your restore points by removing the restore points
themselves, as not only can they not be manipulated in a more
sophisticated fashion they often can't even be scanned...

--
"it's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over