From: CSM1 on
Manfred Kowalewski <mail(a)kowa-online.de> wrote in

> CSM1 schrieb:
>
>> I suggest a re-install of Photoshop.
>>
>> If the Canon Scangear works in Irfanview, then your problem is in
>> Photoshop.
>>

> Sorry, no. All other programs tell me there is no TWAIN scanner
> installed.
>
> Manfred

In that case you don't have the TWAIN driver installed.

If you have the Windows WIA driver installed, you must remove the WIA
driver and install the TWAIN driver.

You can find what driver is installed for your scanner.
Turn on the scanner, be sure it is connected.

Open Device Manager. (Press and hold Windows Key, press Pause/Break)
Hardware tab, click Device Manager Button.

Look for the branch Imaging devices (click the '+', Right click your
scanner, properties. Driver tab, Driver Details, scroll the window, look
for C:\Windows\Twain_32. If no Twain_32, maybe a WIA. OK,or X, out of
the Device Manager.

The scanner driver should also be listed in Control Panel, Add/Remove
Programs. True for Windows XP.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: Barry Watzman on
My recollection is that TWAIN support is an OPTIONAL component of
Windows that IS NOT installed by default; you have to go into [in XP]
Control Panel / add-remove software / Windows components tab and install
it (and it's part of another component whose name makes it non-obvious
that it includes TWAIN support).

From: CSM1 on
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote in

> My recollection is that TWAIN support is an OPTIONAL component of
> Windows that IS NOT installed by default; you have to go into [in XP]
> Control Panel / add-remove software / Windows components tab and
> install it (and it's part of another component whose name makes it
> non-obvious that it includes TWAIN support).
>

> Manfred Kowalewski wrote:
>> CSM1 schrieb:
>>
>>> I suggest a re-install of Photoshop.
>>>
>>> If the Canon Scangear works in Irfanview, then your problem is in
>>> Photoshop.
>>>

>> Sorry, no. All other programs tell me there is no TWAIN scanner
>> installed.
>>
>> Manfred

Barry Watzman,

In my experience, when you install a TWAIN scanner Driver, the Twain
system in XP is installed or updated.

The TWAIN system in XP is four files in the C:\Windows folder.
the four files are:
twain.dll
twain_32.dll
twunk_16.exe
twunk_32.exe

Plus the scanner driver files in the C:\Windows\Twain_32 folder.
Each scanner in its own folder.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com