From: karthikbalaguru on
On Dec 28, 4:00 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Sunday 27 December 2009 22:01 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>

> identifying as karthikbalaguru wrote...
> > On Dec 27, 11:59 pm, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> On Sunday 27 December 2009 14:34 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
> >> identifying as karthikbalaguru wrote...
>
> >> How on earth are you going to access a computer _which_ _cannot_ _be_
> >> _booted_ over the network?  A network connection which shares
> >> filesystems over the network for scanning requires at least a minimal
> >> running operating system on the target machine.
>
> > Yes, it is a valid question. I am exploring various ways.
>
> > The problem is, one of the infected windows machine's CD/DVD
> > drive does not work . So, i was exploring alternate ways like
> > using rescue CD remotely/remote techniques from a remote machine
> > that has a CD/DVD drive (though i was aware of the chances
> > of its availability was very less).
> > Any ideas ?
> > For example, in linux there is a 'kickstart installation' technique
> > that will enable automated installation of Red Hat Linux on
> > indivdual computers based on the answers in the file in the
> > server. Similarly, is it not possible to boot windows remotely
> > so that rescue CD can be used on similar lines to recover it ?
>
> I suppose you could try a PXE boot, but the BIOS has to support it, and
> Windows has to support it as well.  On the latter, I have no
> knowledge - I don't do Windows, sorry - so you would have to ask about
> that in a Windows group, or via the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
>
> > One thought is to dis-connect the non-working CD/DVD drive
> > and connect a working CD/DVD drive temporarily to fix this
> > issue. But, that is ruled out due to various reasons.
>
> At the moment it seems like you have no alternative.
>
> > Is there no other way except for replacing the CD/DVD
> > drive in that windows machine and trying with the rescue CD ?
> > No way to avoid the replacement of CD/DVD drive ?
>
> Not that I can think of, unless you've got some external USB storage
> device that the system can boot from - again, this is BIOS-dependent.
>
> If USB boot is supported on the target machine, then there are various
> tools in various distributions for making a bootable USB stick from
> which you could then scan the system, but none of those USB-based
> distributions would then be designated virus scanners, so you would
> probably have to add the antivirus software to the USB stick manually.
> It can be done, but it's quite a bit of work.

This sounds great . This will surely be helpful :-) :-)
I think, this approach can be tried out. I need to check for the USB-
based
Free distributions and need to check for the method to add the Free
antivirus software to the USB stick. Can you lemme know the
steps/links that talk in detail about this ?

> On the other hand, you should be able to pick up a cheap second-hand
> internal CD or DVD drive somewhere and mount it in the machine with the
> broken CD player.

Yeah, this is another good idea, but in the current scenario, this is
ruled
out due to various reasons.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Aragorn on
On Monday 28 December 2009 05:20 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
identifying as karthikbalaguru wrote...

> On Dec 28, 4:00 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If USB boot is supported on the target machine, then there are
>> various tools in various distributions for making a bootable USB
>> stick from which you could then scan the system, but none of those
>> USB-based distributions would then be designated virus scanners, so
>> you would probably have to add the antivirus software to the USB
>> stick manually. It can be done, but it's quite a bit of work.
>>

> This sounds great . This will surely be helpful :-) :-)
> I think, this approach can be tried out. I need to check for the USB-
> based Free distributions and need to check for the method to add the
> Free antivirus software to the USB stick.

Mandriva is a distribution which is available on a USB stick, and there
are some others as well. As I gather, the cost is not too high, but
alternatively, you can do it yourself using a freely downloadable
distribution and a USB memory stick you already own. There are HowTos
about it on the web. ;-)

> Can you lemme know the steps/links that talk in detail about this ?

Google is your friend. ;-)

>> On the other hand, you should be able to pick up a cheap second-hand
>> internal CD or DVD drive somewhere and mount it in the machine with
>> the broken CD player.
>>
> Yeah, this is another good idea, but in the current scenario, this is
> ruled out due to various reasons.

I don't see why it would be a problem, if you have a non-booting
machine, and thus a machine that is currently useless. Surely adding
an old CD player to it - you might even find one for free - to remedy
the problem would not be a big issue?

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Dec 28, 9:35 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
> On Monday 28 December 2009 05:20 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>
> identifying as karthikbalaguru wrote...
> > On Dec 28, 4:00 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> If USB boot is supported on the target machine, then there are
> >> various tools in various distributions for making a bootable USB
> >> stick from which you could then scan the system, but none of those
> >> USB-based distributions would then be designated virus scanners, so
> >> you would probably have to add the antivirus software to the USB
> >> stick manually. It can be done, but it's quite a bit of work.
>
> > This sounds great . This will surely be helpful :-) :-)
> > I think, this approach can be tried out. I need to check for the USB-
> > based Free distributions and need to check for the method to add the
> > Free antivirus software to the USB stick.
>
> Mandriva is a distribution which is available on a USB stick, and there
> are some others as well.

I checked Mandriva website, yeah they
are providing on USB stick based linux, and since
it is a full fledged linux, i think the virus scanners
might be supported without much hassles !
But it is not free :-(

Lemme know if there is any other USB Stick
based linux flavour that is available for Free ?

Also, lemme know if there is a USB stick
based linux flavour that would support virus
scanners ?

No clear info from internet so far.

> As I gather, the cost is not too high, but
> alternatively, you can do it yourself using a freely downloadable
> distribution and a USB memory stick you already own.  There are HowTos
> about it on the web. ;-)

Thinking on similar lines, i got an idea to try a
Floppy based linux instead of USB.
I know of MiniRTL(based on busybox) that did
not have dependency on HDD except for the RAM
(Even the RAM requirement is very minimal).
Other than that, there are other flavours like
'Tomsrtbt', Asmutils based 'a-Linux' and various
other Busybox based flavours. But,they are all
Floppy based.
But, floppy drive is not available in that machine :-(

Does tomsrtbt support USB stick based boot up ?
I may check with the tomsrtbt user list regd this.
Incase you have any information w.r.t tomsrtbt
you can lemme know.

Another query that pops in my mind is
that these minimal versions/flavours of linux
might not have lot of features. They might be greatly
stripped and hence not sure if they would be able to
provide all required support for virus scanner or similar
tools !!
Any thoughts on this ?

Incase these minimal versions are not suitable
for existing along with virus scanning utility in
the USB stick, do lemme know.

> > Can you lemme know the steptrs/links that talk in detail about this ?
>
> Google is your friend. ;-)

Yeah, need to search/check the HOWTos in the
internet to setup my own USB Stick based Linux
so that it is Free . After that, the method to have the
virus scanner on it should be tried out. I think
this should be just straight forward just like having
any other application on embedded linux.

> >> On the other hand, you should be able to pick up a cheap second-hand
> >> internal CD or DVD drive somewhere and mount it in the machine with
> >> the broken CD player.
>
> > Yeah, this is another good idea, but in the current scenario, this is
> > ruled out due to various reasons.

PS - Have looped in comp.os.linux.embedded
to get their thoughts also as it is going towards
that direction also interms of footprints,utilities
in FD based linux, USB stick based linux ,
Tiny linux flavours having support for virus scanner
etc.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Mark Hobley on
karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Lemme know if there is any other USB Stick
> based linux flavour that is available for Free ?

Ubuntu provides a utility to create a bootable USB stick.

> Also, lemme know if there is a USB stick
> based linux flavour that would support virus
> scanners ?

Ubuntu provides clamav.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: karthikbalaguru on
On Dec 28, 11:09 pm, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 28, 9:35 am, Aragorn <arag...(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote:
>

> > On Monday 28 December 2009 05:20 in comp.os.linux.setup, somebody
>
> > identifying as karthikbalaguru wrote...

> > > This sounds great . This will surely be helpful :-) :-)
> > > I think, this approach can be tried out. I need to check for the USB-
> > > based Free distributions and need to check for the method to add the
> > > Free antivirus software to the USB stick.
>
> > Mandriva is a distribution which is available on a USB stick, and there
> > are some others as well.
>
> I checked Mandriva website, yeah they
> are providing on USB stick based linux, and since
> it is a full fledged linux, i think the virus scanners
> might be supported without much hassles !
> But it is not free :-(
>
> Lemme know if there is any other USB Stick
> based linux flavour that is available for Free ?

http://www.linux.com/distrocentral/distronews/8221-comparing-linux-usb-flash-disk-distros
This seems to have some good pointers to
start with.
DSL and Puppylinux seem to be very good.
Nothing like setting up Ubuntu as it is a full
blown linux.
Pendrive linux seems to have started from
Mandriva and unlike Mandriva Linux, i think
this is also Free.

> Also, lemme know if there is a USB stick
> based linux flavour that would support virus
> scanners ?
>
> No clear info from internet so far.

A)
Ubuntu based USB has Synaptic Packet
Manager system that could be used to install,
remove, configure, or upgrade software packages,
browse, sort and search the list of available
software packages, manage repositories, or
upgrade the whole system.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

I think, this can be used to get the virus
scanner onto the USB stick once the Ubuntu
is up from the USB stick. Need to check.
But,
No clear method is available on the method of
addition of new software. Any ideas ?

B)
In Puppy linux, i found specific statements
that convey that one can use antivirus that is
built-in or can be installed in Puppy.
http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
But, did not get a clear link on the method
of addition of new application to it. Any ideas ?

C)
Pendrivelinux also seems to be full
blown linux, and the virus scanner can
be installed just as this application is installed
in the below link -
Lemme know if this Pendrivelinux method fine
as conveyed in above link ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru