From: David Blanchard on
In article <3cc72db0-240a-43c1-b9ae-ce6b81484db9(a)n35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
1Scan <jeff.underwood(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Oct 30, 12:28�pm, d...(a)pinyon.flg.noaa.gov (David Blanchard) wrote:
>> I recently acquired many old photographs belonging to my parents. I've
>> been scanning the 35-mm slides, 35-mm negatives, and 126/Instamatic
>> negatives using my Nikon 5000 ED.
>>
>> There are many larger format negatives (mostly B+W) that appear to be
>> 6x6 and 6x9 format. For many years, my mother used a twin lens reflex
>> camera and I suppose these are the negatives.
>>
>> I need another scanner for these larger negatives. It appears that
>> both the Nikon 9000ED (not available recently) and Epson V700/V750
>> could do this. �I recognize that the Nikon would provide superior
>> results compared to the Epson but the former is not available and,
>> more importantly, I don't believe that the quality of the negatives
>> requires that level of quality. They're really just larger format
>> snapshots.
>>
>> Comments on the Nikon vs. Epson???
>>
>> -db-

>Faced with a similar decision a few years ago I found this site and
>its review of the Epson 4990 very helpful. It includes sample scans
>comparing the Epson with Nikon scanners. More recently they've
>reviewed the later Epson models that have come to market.
>
>http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%204990/Page%201.htm
>
>I invested in the Epson route, I've been more than happy with that.
>More importantly our clients have liked the scans we produce and we
>enjoy consistent repeat business from professionals and serious
>amateurs. Digital ICE is a serious "killer" facility and these Epsons
>support this.
>
>Jeff Underwood
>www.1scan.co.uk

You are the second person to mention the Epson 4490. I'll take a look
at the review that you mention. I've been to this site before to look
at the review of the Epson V700.

Thanks,

-db-

| David O. Blanchard dob(a)npgcable.com Flagstaff, Arizona |
From: Barry Watzman on
The 4490 is a very good scanners. I think that the V-series models with
Digital ICE are just as good, but they are newer and more expensive than
a used 4490 (which is a couple years discontinued).

From: David Blanchard on
In article <hcr2nm$iq9$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
>The 4490 is a very good scanners. I think that the V-series models with
>Digital ICE are just as good, but they are newer and more expensive than
>a used 4490 (which is a couple years discontinued).

Thanks to all for the Epson suggestions and links.