From: David Blanchard on

I recently acquired many old photographs belonging to my parents. I've
been scanning the 35-mm slides, 35-mm negatives, and 126/Instamatic
negatives using my Nikon 5000 ED.

There are many larger format negatives (mostly B+W) that appear to be
6x6 and 6x9 format. For many years, my mother used a twin lens reflex
camera and I suppose these are the negatives.

I need another scanner for these larger negatives. It appears that
both the Nikon 9000ED (not available recently) and Epson V700/V750
could do this. I recognize that the Nikon would provide superior
results compared to the Epson but the former is not available and,
more importantly, I don't believe that the quality of the negatives
requires that level of quality. They're really just larger format
snapshots.

Comments on the Nikon vs. Epson???

-db-

| David O. Blanchard dob(a)npgcable.com Flagstaff, Arizona |
From: Barry Watzman on
The only good choices are a Nikon 8000 or 9000, or a number of Epson
flatbed photo scanners (not all Epson flatbed scanners do this well (or
at all), but a number of them do). The least expensive Epson that might
work is probably a used 4990 (about $300).

From: Bob AZ on
I don't believe that the quality of the negatives
> requires that level of quality. They're really just larger format
> snapshots.
>
> Comments on the Nikon vs. Epson???
>
> -db-

David

Nikon LS4500AF. Tough to find all the negative holders but a great
choice. SCSI interface but that is no problem with Windows XP.

Bob AZ
From: 1Scan on
On Oct 30, 12:28 pm, d...(a)pinyon.flg.noaa.gov (David Blanchard) wrote:
> I recently acquired many old photographs belonging to my parents. I've
> been scanning the 35-mm slides, 35-mm negatives, and 126/Instamatic
> negatives using my Nikon 5000 ED.
>
> There are many larger format negatives (mostly B+W) that appear to be
> 6x6 and 6x9 format. For many years, my mother used a twin lens reflex
> camera and I suppose these are the negatives.
>
> I need another scanner for these larger negatives. It appears that
> both the Nikon 9000ED (not available recently) and Epson V700/V750
> could do this.  I recognize that the Nikon would provide superior
> results compared to the Epson but the former is not available and,
> more importantly, I don't believe that the quality of the negatives
> requires that level of quality. They're really just larger format
> snapshots.
>
> Comments on the Nikon vs. Epson???
>
> -db-

> |    David O. Blanchard   d...(a)npgcable.com   Flagstaff, Arizona   |

Faced with a similar decision a few years ago I found this site and
its review of the Epson 4990 very helpful. It includes sample scans
comparing the Epson with Nikon scanners. More recently they've
reviewed the later Epson models that have come to market.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%204990/Page%201.htm

I invested in the Epson route, I've been more than happy with that.
More importantly our clients have liked the scans we produce and we
enjoy consistent repeat business from professionals and serious
amateurs. Digital ICE is a serious "killer" facility and these Epsons
support this.

Jeff Underwood
www.1scan.co.uk
From: David Blanchard on
In article <hcfnpd$qag$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
>David Blanchard wrote:
>> I recently acquired many old photographs belonging to my parents. I've
>> been scanning the 35-mm slides, 35-mm negatives, and 126/Instamatic
>> negatives using my Nikon 5000 ED.
>>
>> There are many larger format negatives (mostly B+W) that appear to be
>> 6x6 and 6x9 format. For many years, my mother used a twin lens reflex
>> camera and I suppose these are the negatives.
>>
>> I need another scanner for these larger negatives. It appears that
>> both the Nikon 9000ED (not available recently) and Epson V700/V750
>> could do this. I recognize that the Nikon would provide superior
>> results compared to the Epson but the former is not available and,
>> more importantly, I don't believe that the quality of the negatives
>> requires that level of quality. They're really just larger format
>> snapshots.
>>
>> Comments on the Nikon vs. Epson???
>>
>> -db-

>The only good choices are a Nikon 8000 or 9000, or a number of Epson
>flatbed photo scanners (not all Epson flatbed scanners do this well (or
>at all), but a number of them do). The least expensive Epson that might
>work is probably a used 4990 (about $300).

I had forgotten about the Nikon 8000 as an option. Thanks.

It appears that the choice is actually pretty simple: either the two
Nikons mentioned or a couple of the Epsons. Limited choices will make it
easier to decide.

A third choice is service bureaus but at least a few of them have
already responded by email that they cannot (or will not) do the 6x6
and 6x9 B+W negatives. And this is why I am trying to choose between
the Nikon and Epson scanners.

Thanks,