From: Nigel Feltham on
Nix wrote:

> One major source of confusion to new users has been the bloody silly
> names so many Linux applications have got. I mean, yes, every new app
> needs a distinctive name, but if you add up all the hundreds and
> hundreds of apps installed on your average post-install Linux distro the
> effect is a flood of silly names, many with no obvious connection to
> their purpose: many do similar things, with different pros and
> cons. (Quick: what does Brasero do? Is it obvious that K3b does the same
> thing?)

And Windows software doesn't have bloody Stupid names :-

Will installing Quicken make my PC Faster?
What the hell do ORLOGIX WinCleaner and WEBROOT Window Washer do, make it
easier to see out of the office?
Will Acronis Truimage let me edit photos?
Will Roxio Toast Brown my Bread?

Windows software often has names so confusing even the suppliers get it
wrong - the UK PCWorld shopping site lists AVANQUEST Perfect Image 12 under
graphics software when it's a Backup package.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/graphics-design/740_7129_70143_xx_xx/xx-
criteria.html