From: Rotten Apple on

"Chris Ahlstrom" <ahlstromc(a)launchmodem.com> wrote in message
> Chris Whelan stopped playing his vuvuzela long enough to say:

>>> I see Thunderbird 3 needs a minimum of 1GB RAM.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>
>> Where?
>>
>> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/system-requirements/
>
> This guy likes to float bullshit one-liners, eminently
> quotable for "Google".

"What's the word? / Thunderbird / How's it sold? / Good and cold / What's
the jive? / Bird's alive / What's the price? / Thirty twice."

From: chrisv on
Chink Chonk wrote:

>Sensible use of

*plonk*

From: Nix on
On 5 Jul 2010, Rex Ballard outgrape:

> I never cease to be amazed at the priorties of the School Boards.
> They will cut teachers, increase classroom size, and even close
> computer labs, but they will spend rediculous amounts of money on the
> athletic programs, cheer squad, and the marching band for half-time.

What? Not in the UK they don't. ('Cheer squad'? Does any school in the
UK even *have* one of those? I thought it was an exclusively US
tradition.)
From: jasee on
High Plains Thumper wrote:
> Rex Ballard wrote:
>> 7 wrote:
>>
>>> School budgets cut, but what about making genuine savings with open
>>> source?
>>>
>>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jul/05/school-building-programme-budget-cuts
>>
>>> School budgets are being cut in UK, and probably across most of EU
>>> and America, so when are we going to see the widespread uptake of
>>> open source?
>
>>> It has lower cost and runs on lot lower hardware requirements.
>>
>> Most schools have terribly equipped computer labs in the first
>> place. In many cases, the teachers are asking for homework to be
>> turned in using Office 2007 format, when the computers in the lab are
>> still running Windows XP and Office 2000. Many are still 1 Ghz
>> machines with 1 gig of RAM.

Don't know why this is 'terribly' equipped. Both my main machines use XP
with the same spec cpu and actually less ram. It's actually fine for general
purposes, and apart from Outlook, office 2000 is fine with a much smaller
footprint than the later vesions. They run faster than a lot of more modern
laptops.

The main trouble with Linux is there are so many different flavours and in
many ways the 'makers?' have tried to emulate windows system by providing
even more exotic visual effects and a plethora of applications

From: Nix on
On 13 Jul 2010, jasee(a)btinternet.com outgrape:
> The main trouble with Linux is there are so many different flavours and in
> many ways the 'makers?' have tried to emulate windows system by providing
> even more exotic visual effects and a plethora of applications

Uh, there's something *wrong* with providing a lot of applications?

I think I see your point, but it's sort of opposite to what you meant to
say. Your average Windows-system-as-shipped has sod all applications on
it from my perspective: it's bare of almost anything other than the
horrible nagware crud heaped on it by the vendor. Linux *does* have a
bewildering mass of apps, but Windows, well, doesn't, really; or,
rather, if you want a Windows system with as many apps on it as your
average post-setup Linux box, you have to be prepared to spend a *lot*
of money.

One major source of confusion to new users has been the bloody silly
names so many Linux applications have got. I mean, yes, every new app
needs a distinctive name, but if you add up all the hundreds and
hundreds of apps installed on your average post-install Linux distro the
effect is a flood of silly names, many with no obvious connection to
their purpose: many do similar things, with different pros and
cons. (Quick: what does Brasero do? Is it obvious that K3b does the same
thing?)

Thankfully, major distro vendors (not being idiots) have realised this,
so they now generally use a thematic name, e.g. 'CD Burner (Brasero)'.
KDE 4's new panel menu makes this a lot easier by providing two lines
per app, one thematic one in a large font ('CD Burner') and one giving
the actual name of the app in a much smaller font ('Brasero').

I wouldn't want to *lose* this huge diversity of applications, but it is
nice to see that effort is being made to avoid crushing users under the
weight of silly names.